Gators top Canes, 26-3; first win over Miami since 1985

BROUGHT DOWN: Florida safety Ahmad Black wraps up Miami tight end Dedrick Epps in Saturday night's game between the two schools. Florida topped Miami 26-3, for their first win in the series since 1985. </br>COURTESY THE INDEPENDENT FLORIDA ALLIGATOR // HARRISON DIAMOND

BROUGHT DOWN: Florida safety Ahmad Black wraps up Miami tight end Dedrick Epps in Saturday night's game between the two schools. Florida topped Miami 26-3, for their first win in the series since 1985. COURTESY THE INDEPENDENT FLORIDA ALLIGATOR // HARRISON DIAMOND

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — In front of a record-setting crowd of 90,833 fans at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, the Florida Gators defeated the Miami Hurricanes 26-3, for the first time in 23 years.

“It was an exciting game against Florida,” Head Coach Randy Shannon said. “I’m proud of these guys. We didn’t quit. We had a shot in the fourth quarter. That’s all we want on the road against a No. 5 team. It just got away from us.”

As the fourth quarter started, Florida had only a 9-3 lead but scored the game’s final 17 points to put away any chance of a comeback from the Canes.

Heisman winner Tim Tebow was 21-35 for 256 yards and two touchdowns. He also accounted for 55 rushing yards on 13 carries.

“We got momentum going into the fourth quarter,” Tebow said. “Momentum is everything.
It was a tough night for redshirt quarterback Robert Marve, who was making his first collegiate start.

Marve wasn’t able to move or get the Canes into the end zone and finished the game 10 for 18 for 69 yards.

“I’m just trying to make plays for my team,” Marve said. “All the credit goes to the Gators.”
The offense couldn’t get the running game going. Running back Javarris James injured his leg in the first quarter. Graig Cooper got the bulk of the carries rushing for 36 yards on 15 carries. Still, the Hurricanes were in the game going into the fourth quarter.

“We didn’t finish,” Cooper said. “Florida did a good job finishing. We live; we learn.”
Miami’s three points were the fewest they have scored against the Gators since Florida’s 28-3 victory over Miami in 1983. That team went 11-1 and claimed Miami’s first national championship.

Shannon still believes this team has high hopes, despite the loss against Florida.

“This is just one game,” Shannon said. “We have ten more to go. We had a shot tonight. That’s all we wanted.”

Lelan LeDoux

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...