Wasted condoms and toilet STDs

Q. I heard if you keep a condom in your wallet, it may not work later. Is that true?

A. Yes! I realize that you guys like to keep a condom in your wallet on the off chance that you talk some poor soul into sleeping with you, but by doing this you are going to damage the condom, opening yourself to STDs and maybe pregnancy due to friction and temperature. Let’s face it, condom prices are almost as high as gas prices so keep the condoms elsewhere, boys! 

Q. Can I get an STD from the toilet in my dorm?

A. No, that is a myth. Although it is sad and disturbing that your roommate has an STD, you are not at risk from sitting on the toilet. However, public toilets are disgusting and, seeing as how you are sharing your toilet with other people, I strongly suggest keeping it super clean, STD or no STD. Now, you can get an STD from your roommate if you have any sexual contact with them, including oral, anal, or you share needles or are exposure to infected blood and genital secretions. So don’t have sex with your roommate and make sure that they know to

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...