Wasted condoms and toilet STDs

Q. I heard if you keep a condom in your wallet, it may not work later. Is that true?

A. Yes! I realize that you guys like to keep a condom in your wallet on the off chance that you talk some poor soul into sleeping with you, but by doing this you are going to damage the condom, opening yourself to STDs and maybe pregnancy due to friction and temperature. Let’s face it, condom prices are almost as high as gas prices so keep the condoms elsewhere, boys! 

Q. Can I get an STD from the toilet in my dorm?

A. No, that is a myth. Although it is sad and disturbing that your roommate has an STD, you are not at risk from sitting on the toilet. However, public toilets are disgusting and, seeing as how you are sharing your toilet with other people, I strongly suggest keeping it super clean, STD or no STD. Now, you can get an STD from your roommate if you have any sexual contact with them, including oral, anal, or you share needles or are exposure to infected blood and genital secretions. So don’t have sex with your roommate and make sure that they know to

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...