UM’s Dialogue for Democracy invites notable speakers to campus

Through a series of events and speakers collectively known as the Dialogue for Democracy, the University of Miami is attempting to make its community more informed as the upcoming presidential election approaches. 

George Will, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, will begin this series on Sept. 10.  

Other notable speakers to visit the UM campus include former MTV News reporter Gideon Yago, scheduled for Sept. 16, and husband-and-wife political strategists James Carville and Mary Matalin on Oct. 28. 

These and other speakers will cover the major issues of the campaign such as the economy, the Iraq War and health care. 

Other events in the Dialogue for Democracy include academic forums on education and global warming, lectures, panel discussions and debate watch parties.   

Tom Boswell, a geography professor, is the director of the Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference, a conference that is listed on the Dialogue for Democracy Web site. He hopes that the conference will “have an enlightening effect on the UM community.” 

“I hope it will be an educational factor and will help the university become more aware of the issues,” he said. 

Although the schedule has not been finalized, an up-to-date schedule is available at www.miami.edu/decision08.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...