UM’s Dialogue for Democracy invites notable speakers to campus

Through a series of events and speakers collectively known as the Dialogue for Democracy, the University of Miami is attempting to make its community more informed as the upcoming presidential election approaches. 

George Will, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, will begin this series on Sept. 10.  

Other notable speakers to visit the UM campus include former MTV News reporter Gideon Yago, scheduled for Sept. 16, and husband-and-wife political strategists James Carville and Mary Matalin on Oct. 28. 

These and other speakers will cover the major issues of the campaign such as the economy, the Iraq War and health care. 

Other events in the Dialogue for Democracy include academic forums on education and global warming, lectures, panel discussions and debate watch parties.   

Tom Boswell, a geography professor, is the director of the Race, Ethnicity and Place Conference, a conference that is listed on the Dialogue for Democracy Web site. He hopes that the conference will “have an enlightening effect on the UM community.” 

“I hope it will be an educational factor and will help the university become more aware of the issues,” he said. 

Although the schedule has not been finalized, an up-to-date schedule is available at www.miami.edu/decision08.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...