Sports Briefs

Football

Adkins, Harris earn ACC weekly honors

Senior linebacker Spencer Adkins and freshman quarterback Jacory Harris garnered Atlantic Coast Conference honors from the league office on Monday after last Thursday’s 52-7 victory against Charleston Southern.

Harris, who went 16-for-26 with 160 yards in the air and accounted for two touchdowns in his first collegiate game, received Rookie of the Week.

Adkins and North Carolina’s E.J. Wilson split the title of Defensive Lineman of the Week, with the Canes defender tallying three solo tackles – two for a loss – and two sacks as the defense held the Buccaneers to 126 total yards.

Women’s Basketball

2008-2009 schedule released

Fourth-year head coach Katie Meier and the Hurricanes are slated to play eight games against NCAA Tournament teams and four WNIT teams as part of their 29-game schedule. 18 games will take place at the BankUnited Center.

The Canes open at home with Norfolk State on Nov. 14 and finish the regular season against Maryland on March 1.

Miami will also host three tournaments, including the ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge, for the second consecutive year, starting on Dec. 5. 

Rowing

Three added to coaching staff

Second-year head coach Robbie Tenenbaum announced the addition of Boban Rankovic, Margaret Matia and Joel Furtek to his coaching staff as the 2008-2009 season approaches. 

Rankovic, who competed in the Sydney Olympics in 2000, will assist with the varsity squad and recruiting. Matia, a former All-American, will serve as a novice coach. She comes to the staff after spending time in the nation’s capital over the past year. 

Furtek, a five-year head coach at North Carolina, will become the first full-time boatman/rigger stationed at the boathouse and will stay in charge of the rowing facility. 

Cross Country

2008 schedule released

The University of Miami cross country team announced its 2008 campaign, which starts this Friday as the Hurricanes host their only meet – the Greentree Invitational at Tropical Park.

Florida International, Florida Atlantic and Florida Gulf Coast will be on hand for the women’s race at 6 p.m. and the men’s at 6:30 p.m.

All but one of the other five meets the Hurricanes are participating in will be taking place in Florida, as preparation for the ACC Championship on Nov. 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C. 

Information compiled by Christina De Nicola from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...