Sports Briefs

Football

Adkins, Harris earn ACC weekly honors

Senior linebacker Spencer Adkins and freshman quarterback Jacory Harris garnered Atlantic Coast Conference honors from the league office on Monday after last Thursday’s 52-7 victory against Charleston Southern.

Harris, who went 16-for-26 with 160 yards in the air and accounted for two touchdowns in his first collegiate game, received Rookie of the Week.

Adkins and North Carolina’s E.J. Wilson split the title of Defensive Lineman of the Week, with the Canes defender tallying three solo tackles – two for a loss – and two sacks as the defense held the Buccaneers to 126 total yards.

Women’s Basketball

2008-2009 schedule released

Fourth-year head coach Katie Meier and the Hurricanes are slated to play eight games against NCAA Tournament teams and four WNIT teams as part of their 29-game schedule. 18 games will take place at the BankUnited Center.

The Canes open at home with Norfolk State on Nov. 14 and finish the regular season against Maryland on March 1.

Miami will also host three tournaments, including the ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge, for the second consecutive year, starting on Dec. 5. 

Rowing

Three added to coaching staff

Second-year head coach Robbie Tenenbaum announced the addition of Boban Rankovic, Margaret Matia and Joel Furtek to his coaching staff as the 2008-2009 season approaches. 

Rankovic, who competed in the Sydney Olympics in 2000, will assist with the varsity squad and recruiting. Matia, a former All-American, will serve as a novice coach. She comes to the staff after spending time in the nation’s capital over the past year. 

Furtek, a five-year head coach at North Carolina, will become the first full-time boatman/rigger stationed at the boathouse and will stay in charge of the rowing facility. 

Cross Country

2008 schedule released

The University of Miami cross country team announced its 2008 campaign, which starts this Friday as the Hurricanes host their only meet – the Greentree Invitational at Tropical Park.

Florida International, Florida Atlantic and Florida Gulf Coast will be on hand for the women’s race at 6 p.m. and the men’s at 6:30 p.m.

All but one of the other five meets the Hurricanes are participating in will be taking place in Florida, as preparation for the ACC Championship on Nov. 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C. 

Information compiled by Christina De Nicola from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...