Sports Briefs

Football

Adkins, Harris earn ACC weekly honors

Senior linebacker Spencer Adkins and freshman quarterback Jacory Harris garnered Atlantic Coast Conference honors from the league office on Monday after last Thursday’s 52-7 victory against Charleston Southern.

Harris, who went 16-for-26 with 160 yards in the air and accounted for two touchdowns in his first collegiate game, received Rookie of the Week.

Adkins and North Carolina’s E.J. Wilson split the title of Defensive Lineman of the Week, with the Canes defender tallying three solo tackles – two for a loss – and two sacks as the defense held the Buccaneers to 126 total yards.

Women’s Basketball

2008-2009 schedule released

Fourth-year head coach Katie Meier and the Hurricanes are slated to play eight games against NCAA Tournament teams and four WNIT teams as part of their 29-game schedule. 18 games will take place at the BankUnited Center.

The Canes open at home with Norfolk State on Nov. 14 and finish the regular season against Maryland on March 1.

Miami will also host three tournaments, including the ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge, for the second consecutive year, starting on Dec. 5. 

Rowing

Three added to coaching staff

Second-year head coach Robbie Tenenbaum announced the addition of Boban Rankovic, Margaret Matia and Joel Furtek to his coaching staff as the 2008-2009 season approaches. 

Rankovic, who competed in the Sydney Olympics in 2000, will assist with the varsity squad and recruiting. Matia, a former All-American, will serve as a novice coach. She comes to the staff after spending time in the nation’s capital over the past year. 

Furtek, a five-year head coach at North Carolina, will become the first full-time boatman/rigger stationed at the boathouse and will stay in charge of the rowing facility. 

Cross Country

2008 schedule released

The University of Miami cross country team announced its 2008 campaign, which starts this Friday as the Hurricanes host their only meet – the Greentree Invitational at Tropical Park.

Florida International, Florida Atlantic and Florida Gulf Coast will be on hand for the women’s race at 6 p.m. and the men’s at 6:30 p.m.

All but one of the other five meets the Hurricanes are participating in will be taking place in Florida, as preparation for the ACC Championship on Nov. 1 in Chapel Hill, N.C. 

Information compiled by Christina De Nicola from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been facinated with Japan and its culture. Partic ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

The University of Miami utilizes WeatherSTEM units on campus that continually scan atmospheric condi ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...

On Jan. 2, 2001, the Canes and Gators met for the first time in 13 years, renewing on of college foo ...