Kidz in the Hall to open Hurricane Howl 2008

Labeling their music as “conscious hip-hop” fails to do Kidz in the Hall justice. With Naledge (pronounced “knowledge”) the MC and Double-O the producer, this rap duo is not “bringing back hip-hop” – they’re simply adding to what the genre already brings to the table. Come October, Kidz in the Hall will be the opening act for this year’s Hurricane Howl at Homecoming 2008!

The Miami Hurricane: How would you describe your music?

Double-O: Feel-good, beautiful music… I mean, honestly, our music at the end of the day is soulful, because we’re not afraid to really just speak from the heart. But we consider it pretty dope, great music so it’s all of those things in one. It’s just our interpretation of life. That’s really all it is at the end of the day. Hopefully the fans will connect with it in ways that speak to them and that’s really all it is. There’s no definition to what we do, but put it out there.

TMH: What are some words that come to mind when you think about the University of Miami?

Double-O: Cuban food, fútbol…What is that place that we performed at last year? The Rathskeller, that’s what it was! Yeah, the Rathskeller’s fun. You know, Miami is just a laid-back place where if girls need to put their 8-inch heels on, get to South Beach and be sexy, they can do it. We’ll end it with that.

TMH: Last year, Talib Kweli came to our campus to perform for homecoming as well. UM is located in the city of Coral Gables, which has an ordinance that prohibits loud noise after 12 a.m. So the police had Kweli’s mic and music cut off in the middle of one of his songs a few minutes past midnight. Kweli reacted by denouncing the act and emptying his water bottles across the stage on his way out. If a similar situation occurred where your mics were cut off, how would you guys react to it?

Naledge: We would go to the nearest frat house. It’s not that serious, we don’t need to involve anything that requires police to intervene or security to cut things off. All that matters is that we have fun. Kidz in the Hall is a traveling circus. It’s like Barnum and Bailey – it’s the greatest show on earth. So when we come to town it’s a party… We’re going to have a whole lot of fun.

TMH: What are you expecting from your show at UM in October?

Naledge: Party! Honestly, it’s not brain surgery – it’s homecoming. We’re here to do a job and our job is to entertain. You all know the names, you all know the songs. You all wouldn’t have asked us to come if you all didn’t have some faith in us to come rock, you know? So we’re going to come and give all the energy we have to make sure you have the best homecoming possible.

Farah Dosani

Contributing Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...