Football season always starts off with suspensions

For my entire time at Miami, I have been patiently awaiting the end of the Kyle Wright era. Like most fans, we hung on to a false hope that Kyle would turn that corner and become the player, and most importantly the leader, we all needed.

Well rejoice fellow Hurricane fans. We now usher in the era of Robert Marve.  

Wait. What? He’s not playing? He did what? In the Grove? On Halloween?

Much to my dismay, I received a text message from one of my friends at Notre Dame.  “Your school’s a bunch of animals, did they suspend you too?” I couldn’t help but feel a little embarrassed. Every college football season, it seems there is a laundry list of players from our team that are either suspended or ineligible to play because of disciplinary action.

Since I’ve been here, I’ve seen a player and a former player murdered, two others shot at, a bench-clearing brawl, and countless suspensions. With such a highly covered football program, the problem is that the entire world has seen all this too.

This year has been no different. Seven players including Marve were suspended for our first game on Thursday. Although the game was not nationally televised, the news of the suspensions was.

I’m not blaming Randy Shannon or anyone in the organization for the amount of suspensions. Randy Shannon is a rule guy, and if players are being suspended that means that he is holding true to his nature.

As the season progresses we will see how many suspensions are handed out. With such a young team, this is Shannon’s chance to turn our program around.  Restore glory and win a title, sure. But more importantly, this is his opportunity to make Miami a top-notch program again, and it starts with fostering such ideals in his young core.

So yes, this is the dawn of the Marve era (and perhaps the Harris era after the effort Jacory put in on Thursday), but this may also be a sign of a more disciplined and focused team.

Matt Mullin is a senior majoring in journalism and creative writing.

Matt Mullin

Contributing Writer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...