Attention all pedestrians!

Carol Perry

Carol Perry

Hey, it’s Carol. I ride a bike. I know there are a lot of you around, going to and from various classes, meetings, etc., and I also know that neither you nor I want any sort of pedestrian/bicyclist collision. So I thought I would write this and try to help, maybe even lay down some ground rules.

If I’m on my bike and I’m riding behind you with the intent to pass, I will say “On your left,” or “Excuse me.” If I say I’m on your left, do NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT move immediately to your left. I am there. On my bike.

If you see me biking toward you, do NOT, and I repeat DO NOT change your direction. You are a pedestrian; you move slower than I do, thus it is MY responsibility to avoid YOU. It is that much harder for me to avoid you if you haphazardly and unpredictably change your path. I don’t want to hit you, but please don’t give me the opportunity.

I know as a bike-owner on campus I am in the minority, and you pedestrians hate people like me for good reason (I can leave later and still be on time to class, for example), so I try to be nice when I am riding around. I will always apologize when I pass you, even if it’s not my fault. I want this to be a working relationship, and so should you.

However, it’s difficult when I have to pass people who are texting or listening to music. People walking three to four abreast are also very unpleasant to deal with, especially when passing from behind. If you have three or four friends that you insist on walking shoulder-to-shoulder with everywhere, please have the foresight to glance around and make sure I’m not behind you. That goes for those who like to text and walk at the same time. Please be aware of your surroundings. I just want us to get along, is that too much to ask?

I know with the new UBike initiatives, more people will be biking around this semester, and so as pedestrians you have a responsibility to be aware of us, and we of you. I will do my part to be polite and not hit you, as long as you do your part to be alert. I hope we can all make this work together. 

Carol Perry is a senior majoring in vocal performance.

Carol Perry

Opinion Columnist

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...