67 students receive notices to appear in court at first game

Mike*, a junior, did not see the police coming. Underage, he was intoxicated, drinking while tailgating at the Miami vs. Charleston Southern game last Thursday, which took place at Dolphin Stadium – the University of Miami’s new home for football. 

He was issued a notice to appear in court.

“I feel like it was unfair,” he said. “Everyone around me was drinking underage, and they did not get a ticket. Everyone was having a good time. We were not fighting or being violent. They should look for stuff like that.” 

At that same game, tailgating festivities like this at Dolphin Stadium resulted in approximately 60 minors receiving notices to appear in court because of possession of alcohol, according to the State of Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco (ABT).  Overall, ABT issued 67 such notices during the game, said Alexis Antonacci, press secretary for ABT’s Department of Business and Professional Regulations. The additional seven were for either fake identifications or disorderly conduct. 

Neither ABT nor Ricardo Hall, the dean of students, was able to give exact numbers for arrests at last year’s football games, although in 2006 the Florida A&M game resulted in 26 citations given to students. Hall said this year’s number was well above the number of notices typically given at games. 

“ABT was not pleased at all with what they saw,” Hall said. “What these students demonstrated is not what we want to portray to the public.”

Possession of fake identifications is a felony in Florida. 

According to Hall, ABT enforced the law equally at both games. 

“The unfamiliar setting [at Dolphin Stadium]could have caused the increase making students act like there was no holds barred. Like there were no rules,” Hall said. 

Mike felt differently. 

“The cops were much more aggressive this year than last year,” he said. “It was like they were out to get us while at Dolphin Stadium. I feel it was more out of necessity last year at the Orange Bowl.” 

A notice to appear is followed by a court date. The judge can issue a range of punishments including fines, community services and probation.

According to Hall, UM is not at fault for this rise in notices to appear.

“The university did a good job in communicating the behavior accepted at the game to its students,” he said. “Now it’s up to the individual student.”

Mike somewhat disagreed.

“Yeah, it’s bad publicity, but if they want to get rid of the bad publicity the university should tell the police to arrest less people,” he said.

Neither last year nor this year’s opening game resulted in any student being ejected from the game.

*This individual preferred not to divulge his last name.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...