Soccer

Women’s soccer team narrowly defeats Florida International

Just as they did in the first game of the season against Stetson, the Hurricane women’s soccer team controlled possession and took shots Friday night at Cobb Stadium.

In front of an energetic crowd, Miami (2-0-0) defeated cross-town rival Florida International (0-2-0) 2-1 on goals from freshman Julianne Rickers and sophomore Brittney Steinbruch.

“Overall, it was good,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro about the match. “I think the team is starting to come together more.”

Despite taking 16 shots in the first half, the Canes could not break a 0-0 deadlock, as they were unable to find the back of the net.

“I think that’s just the way it goes,” Taliaferro said. “I think I would be more concerned if we weren’t creating opportunities.”

Rickers was able to change this, as she tapped a ball in off a rebounded shot from junior Paulelette Ricks-Chambers in the 41st minute.

“Mine was just a follow-up from a great shot,” Rickers said of her first collegiate goal. “[It was just] being at the right spot at the right time.”

Steinbruch, who scored two goals in the season opener, ripped a blast from 20 yards out after freshman Ashlee Burt shook off two defenders and centered the ball.

“I lucked out today,” Steinbruch said. “I wasn’t the one creating chances. Everybody was just all over the place and one was bound to go in.”

The shot gave the Hurricanes a two-goal cushion, but it also proved to be the eventual game winner as the Panthers mustered a goal in the 87th minute, when Marina Pappas’s shot was deflected in by Deana Rossi.

“They were organized, and they were well-coached,” Taliaferro said. “They had a game plan and I felt like they stuck to it. They’ve definitely improved from last year.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami students and staff were given fellowships and awards that will allow them to pur

University of Miami President Julio Frenk joins ecologist Simon Levin for a webinar that will explor

The Miami Herbert Business School announced that a student-led committee will commission artwork for

A tireless physician who was always on call, Dr. Sayfie made patients partners in their care.

The temporary move to drop standardized testing requirements will hopefully eliminate some of the st