Soccer

Women’s soccer team narrowly defeats Florida International

Just as they did in the first game of the season against Stetson, the Hurricane women’s soccer team controlled possession and took shots Friday night at Cobb Stadium.

In front of an energetic crowd, Miami (2-0-0) defeated cross-town rival Florida International (0-2-0) 2-1 on goals from freshman Julianne Rickers and sophomore Brittney Steinbruch.

“Overall, it was good,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro about the match. “I think the team is starting to come together more.”

Despite taking 16 shots in the first half, the Canes could not break a 0-0 deadlock, as they were unable to find the back of the net.

“I think that’s just the way it goes,” Taliaferro said. “I think I would be more concerned if we weren’t creating opportunities.”

Rickers was able to change this, as she tapped a ball in off a rebounded shot from junior Paulelette Ricks-Chambers in the 41st minute.

“Mine was just a follow-up from a great shot,” Rickers said of her first collegiate goal. “[It was just] being at the right spot at the right time.”

Steinbruch, who scored two goals in the season opener, ripped a blast from 20 yards out after freshman Ashlee Burt shook off two defenders and centered the ball.

“I lucked out today,” Steinbruch said. “I wasn’t the one creating chances. Everybody was just all over the place and one was bound to go in.”

The shot gave the Hurricanes a two-goal cushion, but it also proved to be the eventual game winner as the Panthers mustered a goal in the 87th minute, when Marina Pappas’s shot was deflected in by Deana Rossi.

“They were organized, and they were well-coached,” Taliaferro said. “They had a game plan and I felt like they stuck to it. They’ve definitely improved from last year.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...