Soccer

Women’s soccer team narrowly defeats Florida International

Just as they did in the first game of the season against Stetson, the Hurricane women’s soccer team controlled possession and took shots Friday night at Cobb Stadium.

In front of an energetic crowd, Miami (2-0-0) defeated cross-town rival Florida International (0-2-0) 2-1 on goals from freshman Julianne Rickers and sophomore Brittney Steinbruch.

“Overall, it was good,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro about the match. “I think the team is starting to come together more.”

Despite taking 16 shots in the first half, the Canes could not break a 0-0 deadlock, as they were unable to find the back of the net.

“I think that’s just the way it goes,” Taliaferro said. “I think I would be more concerned if we weren’t creating opportunities.”

Rickers was able to change this, as she tapped a ball in off a rebounded shot from junior Paulelette Ricks-Chambers in the 41st minute.

“Mine was just a follow-up from a great shot,” Rickers said of her first collegiate goal. “[It was just] being at the right spot at the right time.”

Steinbruch, who scored two goals in the season opener, ripped a blast from 20 yards out after freshman Ashlee Burt shook off two defenders and centered the ball.

“I lucked out today,” Steinbruch said. “I wasn’t the one creating chances. Everybody was just all over the place and one was bound to go in.”

The shot gave the Hurricanes a two-goal cushion, but it also proved to be the eventual game winner as the Panthers mustered a goal in the 87th minute, when Marina Pappas’s shot was deflected in by Deana Rossi.

“They were organized, and they were well-coached,” Taliaferro said. “They had a game plan and I felt like they stuck to it. They’ve definitely improved from last year.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...