Soccer

Women’s soccer team narrowly defeats Florida International

Just as they did in the first game of the season against Stetson, the Hurricane women’s soccer team controlled possession and took shots Friday night at Cobb Stadium.

In front of an energetic crowd, Miami (2-0-0) defeated cross-town rival Florida International (0-2-0) 2-1 on goals from freshman Julianne Rickers and sophomore Brittney Steinbruch.

“Overall, it was good,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro about the match. “I think the team is starting to come together more.”

Despite taking 16 shots in the first half, the Canes could not break a 0-0 deadlock, as they were unable to find the back of the net.

“I think that’s just the way it goes,” Taliaferro said. “I think I would be more concerned if we weren’t creating opportunities.”

Rickers was able to change this, as she tapped a ball in off a rebounded shot from junior Paulelette Ricks-Chambers in the 41st minute.

“Mine was just a follow-up from a great shot,” Rickers said of her first collegiate goal. “[It was just] being at the right spot at the right time.”

Steinbruch, who scored two goals in the season opener, ripped a blast from 20 yards out after freshman Ashlee Burt shook off two defenders and centered the ball.

“I lucked out today,” Steinbruch said. “I wasn’t the one creating chances. Everybody was just all over the place and one was bound to go in.”

The shot gave the Hurricanes a two-goal cushion, but it also proved to be the eventual game winner as the Panthers mustered a goal in the 87th minute, when Marina Pappas’s shot was deflected in by Deana Rossi.

“They were organized, and they were well-coached,” Taliaferro said. “They had a game plan and I felt like they stuck to it. They’ve definitely improved from last year.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...