Soccer

Women’s soccer team narrowly defeats Florida International

Just as they did in the first game of the season against Stetson, the Hurricane women’s soccer team controlled possession and took shots Friday night at Cobb Stadium.

In front of an energetic crowd, Miami (2-0-0) defeated cross-town rival Florida International (0-2-0) 2-1 on goals from freshman Julianne Rickers and sophomore Brittney Steinbruch.

“Overall, it was good,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro about the match. “I think the team is starting to come together more.”

Despite taking 16 shots in the first half, the Canes could not break a 0-0 deadlock, as they were unable to find the back of the net.

“I think that’s just the way it goes,” Taliaferro said. “I think I would be more concerned if we weren’t creating opportunities.”

Rickers was able to change this, as she tapped a ball in off a rebounded shot from junior Paulelette Ricks-Chambers in the 41st minute.

“Mine was just a follow-up from a great shot,” Rickers said of her first collegiate goal. “[It was just] being at the right spot at the right time.”

Steinbruch, who scored two goals in the season opener, ripped a blast from 20 yards out after freshman Ashlee Burt shook off two defenders and centered the ball.

“I lucked out today,” Steinbruch said. “I wasn’t the one creating chances. Everybody was just all over the place and one was bound to go in.”

The shot gave the Hurricanes a two-goal cushion, but it also proved to be the eventual game winner as the Panthers mustered a goal in the 87th minute, when Marina Pappas’s shot was deflected in by Deana Rossi.

“They were organized, and they were well-coached,” Taliaferro said. “They had a game plan and I felt like they stuck to it. They’ve definitely improved from last year.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The new Public Health Ambassadors program, formed to support the safe reopening of campus and COVID-

All students—both residential and non-residential—must test negative for COVID-19 before returning t

In their first Climate Café, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science faculty members and

Student and faculty mentors and their foster-care teen mentees both reap rich rewards through intera

’Canes Central provides undergraduate and graduate students with easy, efficient support for registr