Football

Canes trounce Charleston Southern, 52-7

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=10″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricanes opened the 2008 season with a resounding 52-7 victory over Charleston Southern, christening their new home Dolphin Stadium.

With starting quarterback Robert Marve suspended for the opening game, true freshman Jacory Harris took the helm and did not disappoint. On the Canes opening drive, Harris scored on a 30-yard fourth-down run.

A poised Harris finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and one touchdown pass. He also led the Hurricanes to four touchdowns on the first four drives.

“[Harris] is always calm,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “He is happy-go-lucky. He understands the game of football. He has that football blood in him.”

Harris was the first true freshman in school history to start quarterback in a season opener. The last freshman to start the season opener was redshirt freshman Bernie Kosar in 1983.

“I am always putting the team first. I just want to go out there and play,” Harris said after the game. “Coach Shannon is a great coach and I take it as it goes.”

Miami finished with 416 total yards compared to Charleston Southern’s 126. For Miami, 224 yards came on the ground as the running backs added four touchdowns.

TAKE TO THE AIR: True freshman Jacory Harris led the Hurricanes to a 52-7 defeat of Charleston Southern University Thursday night. Harris finished finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and two total touchdowns, including a 30-yard fourth-down scramble.

Javarris James led all rushers with 73 yards.The star of the defense was senior linebacker Spencer Adkins who totaled 2 sacks in the first half.

In the first half, 14 true freshmen were on the playing field for the Hurricanes.

“Like I said before, we are going to play young guys,” Shannon said. We have a lot of confidence in these young guys. We are going to do the same thing next week and weeks to follow.”

Sophomore Graig Cooper opened the second half for the Hurricanes returning a punt 66 yards for a touchdown; Cooper finished with two total touchdowns.

“It was great to see that,” Shannon said. “He did well.”

Charleston Southern finally got on the board with 3:39 remaining in the third quarter with four-yard touchdown pass.

Shannon was also pleased how the fans came out to support the Hurricanes in their opening game.

“The west end-zone was rowdy,” Shannon said. “The student section was rowdy. The fans were into the game.”

Lelan LeDoux

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...