Football

Canes trounce Charleston Southern, 52-7

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=10″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricanes opened the 2008 season with a resounding 52-7 victory over Charleston Southern, christening their new home Dolphin Stadium.

With starting quarterback Robert Marve suspended for the opening game, true freshman Jacory Harris took the helm and did not disappoint. On the Canes opening drive, Harris scored on a 30-yard fourth-down run.

A poised Harris finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and one touchdown pass. He also led the Hurricanes to four touchdowns on the first four drives.

“[Harris] is always calm,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “He is happy-go-lucky. He understands the game of football. He has that football blood in him.”

Harris was the first true freshman in school history to start quarterback in a season opener. The last freshman to start the season opener was redshirt freshman Bernie Kosar in 1983.

“I am always putting the team first. I just want to go out there and play,” Harris said after the game. “Coach Shannon is a great coach and I take it as it goes.”

Miami finished with 416 total yards compared to Charleston Southern’s 126. For Miami, 224 yards came on the ground as the running backs added four touchdowns.

TAKE TO THE AIR: True freshman Jacory Harris led the Hurricanes to a 52-7 defeat of Charleston Southern University Thursday night. Harris finished finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and two total touchdowns, including a 30-yard fourth-down scramble.

Javarris James led all rushers with 73 yards.The star of the defense was senior linebacker Spencer Adkins who totaled 2 sacks in the first half.

In the first half, 14 true freshmen were on the playing field for the Hurricanes.

“Like I said before, we are going to play young guys,” Shannon said. We have a lot of confidence in these young guys. We are going to do the same thing next week and weeks to follow.”

Sophomore Graig Cooper opened the second half for the Hurricanes returning a punt 66 yards for a touchdown; Cooper finished with two total touchdowns.

“It was great to see that,” Shannon said. “He did well.”

Charleston Southern finally got on the board with 3:39 remaining in the third quarter with four-yard touchdown pass.

Shannon was also pleased how the fans came out to support the Hurricanes in their opening game.

“The west end-zone was rowdy,” Shannon said. “The student section was rowdy. The fans were into the game.”

Lelan LeDoux

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...