Football

Canes trounce Charleston Southern, 52-7

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=10″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricanes opened the 2008 season with a resounding 52-7 victory over Charleston Southern, christening their new home Dolphin Stadium.

With starting quarterback Robert Marve suspended for the opening game, true freshman Jacory Harris took the helm and did not disappoint. On the Canes opening drive, Harris scored on a 30-yard fourth-down run.

A poised Harris finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and one touchdown pass. He also led the Hurricanes to four touchdowns on the first four drives.

“[Harris] is always calm,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “He is happy-go-lucky. He understands the game of football. He has that football blood in him.”

Harris was the first true freshman in school history to start quarterback in a season opener. The last freshman to start the season opener was redshirt freshman Bernie Kosar in 1983.

“I am always putting the team first. I just want to go out there and play,” Harris said after the game. “Coach Shannon is a great coach and I take it as it goes.”

Miami finished with 416 total yards compared to Charleston Southern’s 126. For Miami, 224 yards came on the ground as the running backs added four touchdowns.

TAKE TO THE AIR: True freshman Jacory Harris led the Hurricanes to a 52-7 defeat of Charleston Southern University Thursday night. Harris finished finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and two total touchdowns, including a 30-yard fourth-down scramble.

Javarris James led all rushers with 73 yards.The star of the defense was senior linebacker Spencer Adkins who totaled 2 sacks in the first half.

In the first half, 14 true freshmen were on the playing field for the Hurricanes.

“Like I said before, we are going to play young guys,” Shannon said. We have a lot of confidence in these young guys. We are going to do the same thing next week and weeks to follow.”

Sophomore Graig Cooper opened the second half for the Hurricanes returning a punt 66 yards for a touchdown; Cooper finished with two total touchdowns.

“It was great to see that,” Shannon said. “He did well.”

Charleston Southern finally got on the board with 3:39 remaining in the third quarter with four-yard touchdown pass.

Shannon was also pleased how the fans came out to support the Hurricanes in their opening game.

“The west end-zone was rowdy,” Shannon said. “The student section was rowdy. The fans were into the game.”

Lelan LeDoux

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...