Ranking improvement means improved student life

According to U.S. News and World Report, UM has a ranking of 51….whatever that means. All we know is that every year that number continues to shrink; which is a good thing. But for all of us who aren’t applying to schools anymore and don’t need to impress our friends that got into schools ranked, say, 52, there’s more to care about. 

If you have eyes, you see the immense beauty around this Coral Gables campus. Under the surface though, there are a few kinks that need ironing. Fortunately, our administration has kept a neat laundry list of improvements that need to take place. 

One by one, from a Glatt Kosher Deli to the new “UBike” program, from updated classrooms to additional green space, the university is taking strides to provide its students’ with the best ways of getting the best education. 

If you’ve ever had class in Dooley Memorial, you’re probably aware of the noisy, shaky air conditioning units that litter each room. Worry no more, for now we have central air. What a concept! Even if you don’t have class in there, it wouldn’t hurt to go check out the improvements that transformed that building’s classrooms from a 1920s silent film (minus the A/C units) to a futuristic learning zone.

For the amount of money we spend each semester, we deserve the best. For all of those freshmen out there who don’t know the days of old, don’t take these things for granted. 

When those John Deere tractors start ripping up the UC and are getting in the way of your walk to class, just know that in the end it’s for the better. If we expect the best, there are sacrifices that must be made. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll be 50.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...