Ranking improvement means improved student life

According to U.S. News and World Report, UM has a ranking of 51….whatever that means. All we know is that every year that number continues to shrink; which is a good thing. But for all of us who aren’t applying to schools anymore and don’t need to impress our friends that got into schools ranked, say, 52, there’s more to care about. 

If you have eyes, you see the immense beauty around this Coral Gables campus. Under the surface though, there are a few kinks that need ironing. Fortunately, our administration has kept a neat laundry list of improvements that need to take place. 

One by one, from a Glatt Kosher Deli to the new “UBike” program, from updated classrooms to additional green space, the university is taking strides to provide its students’ with the best ways of getting the best education. 

If you’ve ever had class in Dooley Memorial, you’re probably aware of the noisy, shaky air conditioning units that litter each room. Worry no more, for now we have central air. What a concept! Even if you don’t have class in there, it wouldn’t hurt to go check out the improvements that transformed that building’s classrooms from a 1920s silent film (minus the A/C units) to a futuristic learning zone.

For the amount of money we spend each semester, we deserve the best. For all of those freshmen out there who don’t know the days of old, don’t take these things for granted. 

When those John Deere tractors start ripping up the UC and are getting in the way of your walk to class, just know that in the end it’s for the better. If we expect the best, there are sacrifices that must be made. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll be 50.

Editorial Board

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...