Ranking improvement means improved student life

According to U.S. News and World Report, UM has a ranking of 51….whatever that means. All we know is that every year that number continues to shrink; which is a good thing. But for all of us who aren’t applying to schools anymore and don’t need to impress our friends that got into schools ranked, say, 52, there’s more to care about. 

If you have eyes, you see the immense beauty around this Coral Gables campus. Under the surface though, there are a few kinks that need ironing. Fortunately, our administration has kept a neat laundry list of improvements that need to take place. 

One by one, from a Glatt Kosher Deli to the new “UBike” program, from updated classrooms to additional green space, the university is taking strides to provide its students’ with the best ways of getting the best education. 

If you’ve ever had class in Dooley Memorial, you’re probably aware of the noisy, shaky air conditioning units that litter each room. Worry no more, for now we have central air. What a concept! Even if you don’t have class in there, it wouldn’t hurt to go check out the improvements that transformed that building’s classrooms from a 1920s silent film (minus the A/C units) to a futuristic learning zone.

For the amount of money we spend each semester, we deserve the best. For all of those freshmen out there who don’t know the days of old, don’t take these things for granted. 

When those John Deere tractors start ripping up the UC and are getting in the way of your walk to class, just know that in the end it’s for the better. If we expect the best, there are sacrifices that must be made. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll be 50.

Editorial Board

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...