People You Should Know: SG President Brandon Gross

BIG TIME: From left, SG Vice President Claudio Medina, President Brandon Gross and Treasurer Shajeno Erazo. Photo by Chelsea Matiash // Hurricane Staff

Senior Brandon Gross is the Student Government president. He is double majoring in public relations and sports administration.

What’s your SG job like? 

Gross described his job as “a little bit of everything.” He serves as the face of the student body, works with the Alumni Association, attends events for student representation, and if issues are brought to him, he must ensure that they are “brought to the right people” and work to resolve the problem.   

Why is that important? 

“Students have to have a voice,” Gross said. “Someone might not know the right route to take. We’re able to get a lot of things done.” 

What’s the most gratifying thing about being in SG? 

“The different people you meet and the unique and cool experiences you have as a result of interacting with faculty, staff, alumni, etc.,” he said.  

What’s a typical day in the life of an SG president? 

“It depends on the day,” Gross said with a laugh. Though he can count on his usual daily and weekly meetings, Gross stressed that random things pop up frequently. “Hey, can you be here at…” is a phone call he receives regularly. “I wake up early and I go to bed late,” he said simply. “I don’t have too much down time.” His fraternity brothers whom he lives with asked him the other day, “Do you even live here?” 

Best thing about the U? 

“The unique people you meet,” he said. 

What do you do for fun on the weekend? 

Somewhat perplexed and after long contemplation, Gross said, “I try to relax. Though I like to be busy, sometimes you just have to be lazy.”

Stephanie Genuardi

Staff Writer

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...