People You Should Know: SG President Brandon Gross

BIG TIME: From left, SG Vice President Claudio Medina, President Brandon Gross and Treasurer Shajeno Erazo. Photo by Chelsea Matiash // Hurricane Staff

Senior Brandon Gross is the Student Government president. He is double majoring in public relations and sports administration.

What’s your SG job like? 

Gross described his job as “a little bit of everything.” He serves as the face of the student body, works with the Alumni Association, attends events for student representation, and if issues are brought to him, he must ensure that they are “brought to the right people” and work to resolve the problem.   

Why is that important? 

“Students have to have a voice,” Gross said. “Someone might not know the right route to take. We’re able to get a lot of things done.” 

What’s the most gratifying thing about being in SG? 

“The different people you meet and the unique and cool experiences you have as a result of interacting with faculty, staff, alumni, etc.,” he said.  

What’s a typical day in the life of an SG president? 

“It depends on the day,” Gross said with a laugh. Though he can count on his usual daily and weekly meetings, Gross stressed that random things pop up frequently. “Hey, can you be here at…” is a phone call he receives regularly. “I wake up early and I go to bed late,” he said simply. “I don’t have too much down time.” His fraternity brothers whom he lives with asked him the other day, “Do you even live here?” 

Best thing about the U? 

“The unique people you meet,” he said. 

What do you do for fun on the weekend? 

Somewhat perplexed and after long contemplation, Gross said, “I try to relax. Though I like to be busy, sometimes you just have to be lazy.”

Stephanie Genuardi

Staff Writer

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...