People You Should Know: SG President Brandon Gross

BIG TIME: From left, SG Vice President Claudio Medina, President Brandon Gross and Treasurer Shajeno Erazo. Photo by Chelsea Matiash // Hurricane Staff

Senior Brandon Gross is the Student Government president. He is double majoring in public relations and sports administration.

What’s your SG job like? 

Gross described his job as “a little bit of everything.” He serves as the face of the student body, works with the Alumni Association, attends events for student representation, and if issues are brought to him, he must ensure that they are “brought to the right people” and work to resolve the problem.   

Why is that important? 

“Students have to have a voice,” Gross said. “Someone might not know the right route to take. We’re able to get a lot of things done.” 

What’s the most gratifying thing about being in SG? 

“The different people you meet and the unique and cool experiences you have as a result of interacting with faculty, staff, alumni, etc.,” he said.  

What’s a typical day in the life of an SG president? 

“It depends on the day,” Gross said with a laugh. Though he can count on his usual daily and weekly meetings, Gross stressed that random things pop up frequently. “Hey, can you be here at…” is a phone call he receives regularly. “I wake up early and I go to bed late,” he said simply. “I don’t have too much down time.” His fraternity brothers whom he lives with asked him the other day, “Do you even live here?” 

Best thing about the U? 

“The unique people you meet,” he said. 

What do you do for fun on the weekend? 

Somewhat perplexed and after long contemplation, Gross said, “I try to relax. Though I like to be busy, sometimes you just have to be lazy.”

Stephanie Genuardi

Staff Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...