Soccer

An uphill battle: Canes soccer team looks to build off recent success

GIVING CHASE: Sophomore Brittney Steinbruch evades a number of defenders during Sunday's game against Stetson. Photo by Chelsea Matiash // Hurricane Staff.

Instead, Miami proved its doubters wrong by making it to the NCAA tournament for only the second time in the program’s short history.

“The success we experienced last season was due to years worth of work,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “Since the first day I stepped on campus at Miami, I had a vision to build this program to national prominence. The opportunity to compete in the first round made us very proud, but also drives us to improve.”

After getting off to a good start with a 3-0 victory against Stetson this past Sunday afternoon, the Canes (1-0-0) host cross-town rival Florida International (0-1-0) at 7 p.m. Friday.

Although the Panthers fell in their first match 3-2 to Florida Gulf Coast, they staged a comeback with two late second half goals by sophomore forward Claudia Cardenas and junior midfielder Marina Pappas.

During the preseason, FIU held No. 15 Texas A&M scoreless at the half and even tied the game at one apiece before falling 3-1, despite playing with only 16 players available.  

The overall series matchup against FIU leans in UM’s favor, 6-3-1, and it includes a 3-1 win last year at University Park.

While the Canes proved a force to be reckoned with last year by beating powerhouse North Carolina en route to a 9-7-5 record, the Panthers finished 3-11-3 and are looking to turn things around in the Sun Belt Conference.

“We are hungry to taste victory again and have worked extremely hard over the last nine months to do that,” Taliaferro said. “The goals for this team are to improve our ACC regular season standing and win in the NCAA tournament.”

Eight starters return to Coral Gables, including sophomore Brittney Steinbruch.

Not only did the ACC Freshman of the Year score two goals in Sunday’s game, but she recently earned the SoccerFla.com Player of the Week Award.

The standout sophomore also garnered a spot on TopDrawerSoccer.com’s weekly national team.

“The best part of this team is how selfless each one of us is in striving to achieve the team goals we have set,” said Taliaferro, who was named the ACC Coach of the Year last season.

Meanwhile, freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo replaces the most accomplished Hurricane goalie, Lauren McAdam. In the first match of her career, Alonzo earned a shutout and stopped a penalty kick while communicating effectively with her defense.

Five other newcomers join the mix to fill voids left by the loss of three starters, including midfielder Sheuneen Ta.

A few weeks ago, the ACC coaches voted Miami to finish seventh in the ACC preseason poll, behind six teams that ended the season in the top 25 – including three that were in the top 10.

“I look forward to climbing up the ranks in the ACC, because if you do that, a national championship is in sight,” Taliaferro said.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...