Soccer

An uphill battle: Canes soccer team looks to build off recent success

GIVING CHASE: Sophomore Brittney Steinbruch evades a number of defenders during Sunday's game against Stetson. Photo by Chelsea Matiash // Hurricane Staff.

Instead, Miami proved its doubters wrong by making it to the NCAA tournament for only the second time in the program’s short history.

“The success we experienced last season was due to years worth of work,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “Since the first day I stepped on campus at Miami, I had a vision to build this program to national prominence. The opportunity to compete in the first round made us very proud, but also drives us to improve.”

After getting off to a good start with a 3-0 victory against Stetson this past Sunday afternoon, the Canes (1-0-0) host cross-town rival Florida International (0-1-0) at 7 p.m. Friday.

Although the Panthers fell in their first match 3-2 to Florida Gulf Coast, they staged a comeback with two late second half goals by sophomore forward Claudia Cardenas and junior midfielder Marina Pappas.

During the preseason, FIU held No. 15 Texas A&M scoreless at the half and even tied the game at one apiece before falling 3-1, despite playing with only 16 players available.  

The overall series matchup against FIU leans in UM’s favor, 6-3-1, and it includes a 3-1 win last year at University Park.

While the Canes proved a force to be reckoned with last year by beating powerhouse North Carolina en route to a 9-7-5 record, the Panthers finished 3-11-3 and are looking to turn things around in the Sun Belt Conference.

“We are hungry to taste victory again and have worked extremely hard over the last nine months to do that,” Taliaferro said. “The goals for this team are to improve our ACC regular season standing and win in the NCAA tournament.”

Eight starters return to Coral Gables, including sophomore Brittney Steinbruch.

Not only did the ACC Freshman of the Year score two goals in Sunday’s game, but she recently earned the SoccerFla.com Player of the Week Award.

The standout sophomore also garnered a spot on TopDrawerSoccer.com’s weekly national team.

“The best part of this team is how selfless each one of us is in striving to achieve the team goals we have set,” said Taliaferro, who was named the ACC Coach of the Year last season.

Meanwhile, freshman goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo replaces the most accomplished Hurricane goalie, Lauren McAdam. In the first match of her career, Alonzo earned a shutout and stopped a penalty kick while communicating effectively with her defense.

Five other newcomers join the mix to fill voids left by the loss of three starters, including midfielder Sheuneen Ta.

A few weeks ago, the ACC coaches voted Miami to finish seventh in the ACC preseason poll, behind six teams that ended the season in the top 25 – including three that were in the top 10.

“I look forward to climbing up the ranks in the ACC, because if you do that, a national championship is in sight,” Taliaferro said.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...