University opens kosher eatery on Coral Gables campus

University of Miami students who have a taste for fine dining with a Kosher flair can say “bon appetit” next time they’re on campus.

On Tuesday morning, President Donna E. Shalala cut the ribbon during the grand opening of The Oasis, a Glatt Kosher deli located in the University Center. The eatery is located in the space the Storm Surge Café occupied for nearly six years.

Offering a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner choices, The Oasis is open Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“This is the largest Glatt Kosher dining facility in any university in the United States,” said Vice President of Business Services Alan Fish. “There was a demand for this, so we started planning the facility a year and a half ago. We want to improve the student experience and we think this is going to be a great success.”

The handling and preparation of the food at The Oasis will be overseen by a Mashgiach, a person who supervises a Kosher restaurant, who will always be at the deli making sure the kosher laws are strictly followed.

Foods include traditional breakfast items such as fresh baked bagels with a “shmear” of smoked salmon cream cheese, as well as egg sandwiches and blintzes. For lunch and dinner, deli specialties include corned beef, roast beef, pastrami, falafel, hummus, salads and matzo ball soup.

“We are very enthusiastic about the opening of The Oasis,” Shalala said. “We want to give the students alternatives. There’s been a lot of buzz around campus as well as from people from the community about the opening.”

The new facility holds 75 people, has televisions and is being touted as a “first-class dining experience.”

Students are also given the opportunity to buy a new “8 Kosher Plus” dining plan. The plan includes eight prepaid meals per week in the residential dining halls, 200 dining dollars per semester for most retail locations on campus and 500 Oasis dollars per semester.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...