University opens kosher eatery on Coral Gables campus

University of Miami students who have a taste for fine dining with a Kosher flair can say “bon appetit” next time they’re on campus.

On Tuesday morning, President Donna E. Shalala cut the ribbon during the grand opening of The Oasis, a Glatt Kosher deli located in the University Center. The eatery is located in the space the Storm Surge Café occupied for nearly six years.

Offering a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner choices, The Oasis is open Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“This is the largest Glatt Kosher dining facility in any university in the United States,” said Vice President of Business Services Alan Fish. “There was a demand for this, so we started planning the facility a year and a half ago. We want to improve the student experience and we think this is going to be a great success.”

The handling and preparation of the food at The Oasis will be overseen by a Mashgiach, a person who supervises a Kosher restaurant, who will always be at the deli making sure the kosher laws are strictly followed.

Foods include traditional breakfast items such as fresh baked bagels with a “shmear” of smoked salmon cream cheese, as well as egg sandwiches and blintzes. For lunch and dinner, deli specialties include corned beef, roast beef, pastrami, falafel, hummus, salads and matzo ball soup.

“We are very enthusiastic about the opening of The Oasis,” Shalala said. “We want to give the students alternatives. There’s been a lot of buzz around campus as well as from people from the community about the opening.”

The new facility holds 75 people, has televisions and is being touted as a “first-class dining experience.”

Students are also given the opportunity to buy a new “8 Kosher Plus” dining plan. The plan includes eight prepaid meals per week in the residential dining halls, 200 dining dollars per semester for most retail locations on campus and 500 Oasis dollars per semester.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...