University opens kosher eatery on Coral Gables campus

University of Miami students who have a taste for fine dining with a Kosher flair can say “bon appetit” next time they’re on campus.

On Tuesday morning, President Donna E. Shalala cut the ribbon during the grand opening of The Oasis, a Glatt Kosher deli located in the University Center. The eatery is located in the space the Storm Surge Café occupied for nearly six years.

Offering a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner choices, The Oasis is open Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“This is the largest Glatt Kosher dining facility in any university in the United States,” said Vice President of Business Services Alan Fish. “There was a demand for this, so we started planning the facility a year and a half ago. We want to improve the student experience and we think this is going to be a great success.”

The handling and preparation of the food at The Oasis will be overseen by a Mashgiach, a person who supervises a Kosher restaurant, who will always be at the deli making sure the kosher laws are strictly followed.

Foods include traditional breakfast items such as fresh baked bagels with a “shmear” of smoked salmon cream cheese, as well as egg sandwiches and blintzes. For lunch and dinner, deli specialties include corned beef, roast beef, pastrami, falafel, hummus, salads and matzo ball soup.

“We are very enthusiastic about the opening of The Oasis,” Shalala said. “We want to give the students alternatives. There’s been a lot of buzz around campus as well as from people from the community about the opening.”

The new facility holds 75 people, has televisions and is being touted as a “first-class dining experience.”

Students are also given the opportunity to buy a new “8 Kosher Plus” dining plan. The plan includes eight prepaid meals per week in the residential dining halls, 200 dining dollars per semester for most retail locations on campus and 500 Oasis dollars per semester.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...