University opens kosher eatery on Coral Gables campus

University of Miami students who have a taste for fine dining with a Kosher flair can say “bon appetit” next time they’re on campus.

On Tuesday morning, President Donna E. Shalala cut the ribbon during the grand opening of The Oasis, a Glatt Kosher deli located in the University Center. The eatery is located in the space the Storm Surge Café occupied for nearly six years.

Offering a variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner choices, The Oasis is open Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“This is the largest Glatt Kosher dining facility in any university in the United States,” said Vice President of Business Services Alan Fish. “There was a demand for this, so we started planning the facility a year and a half ago. We want to improve the student experience and we think this is going to be a great success.”

The handling and preparation of the food at The Oasis will be overseen by a Mashgiach, a person who supervises a Kosher restaurant, who will always be at the deli making sure the kosher laws are strictly followed.

Foods include traditional breakfast items such as fresh baked bagels with a “shmear” of smoked salmon cream cheese, as well as egg sandwiches and blintzes. For lunch and dinner, deli specialties include corned beef, roast beef, pastrami, falafel, hummus, salads and matzo ball soup.

“We are very enthusiastic about the opening of The Oasis,” Shalala said. “We want to give the students alternatives. There’s been a lot of buzz around campus as well as from people from the community about the opening.”

The new facility holds 75 people, has televisions and is being touted as a “first-class dining experience.”

Students are also given the opportunity to buy a new “8 Kosher Plus” dining plan. The plan includes eight prepaid meals per week in the residential dining halls, 200 dining dollars per semester for most retail locations on campus and 500 Oasis dollars per semester.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...