Football

Randy Shannon leads Hurricane football team into new era at Dolphin Stadium

As the Miami Hurricanes prepare for Charleston Southern on Thursday night, a new page turns in the book of this storied football program.

Gone is last season’s 5-7 record. So are Larry Coker’s malcontents and underachievers. Perhaps biggest of all, so is the Old Lady of Little Havana – the Orange Bowl.

The historic arena, college football’s version of Fenway Park, has been demolished.

The Canes will take on the Buccaneers at Dolphins Stadium. How NFL is that?

As the Canes transition homes, they also transition toward a new wave of football, as they have so many times in the past.

Whether moving from Howard Schnellenberger’s overachievers to Jimmy Johnson’s high speed flyers, or from Dennis Erickson’s troublemakers to Butch Davis’s off-the-radar scrappers or, most recently, to Larry Coker’s let-downs, this program has always found a way to connect back to its winning roots, to the indomitable will that defines “The U.”

Randy Shannon is as close to transcendent as it gets with this program. He played under Johnson; coached under Erickson, Davis and Coker; and last season, took the reins as head coach. This season, he looks to create his own indelible mark upon the program.

They say a coach improves the most between his first and second seasons on the job. I think this is a function of both experience and roster composition. After going through some growing pains in his first season, Shannon now has a year’s worth of experience under his belt, which has already manifested itself in practice performance and attitude.

Gone should be Shannon’s struggles with clock management and discipline. He is no longer coaching someone else’s players. The guys on this team are unquestionably his.

So the question is no longer whether Shannon can get his team to follow him. Indeed, Shannon realizes that his role as disciplinarian took away too much of his time last season, and he has turned over many of those police duties to a group of senior leaders.

The question is what kind of mark Shannon is able to make with his team on the field. After trimming fat for most of the past year, Shannon looks to unleash a new roster predicated upon speed and athleticism. They are young, but so were Ed Reed, Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson and Jonathan Vilma, at one point.

Shannon will look to combine Johnson’s emphasis on speed and pro-style offense with Schnellenberger and Davis’s quiet discipline to create a new era of Miami football which does not sacrifice class for winning.

This is Shannon’s blueprint for success. Whether or not it will bear weight remains to be seen. However, the first field test will be Thursday night in Davie.

Expect to see a blend of old school and new as the Canes take the field against what should be an overmatched opponent.

Expect the Canes to hit them in the mouth early and often – and maybe even talk a little trash along the way.

Dan Stein

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...