Football

Hurricane football depth chart reflects team’s youth

When glancing at the depth chart for the Miami Hurricanes opener, a few things jump out.

Obviously, the top line is confusing, as the team’s “starting” quarterback – Robert Marve – is not even listed due to a suspension.

Veteran mainstays such as Javarris James, Jason Fox and Reggie Youngblood are in their usual spots, although Youngblood is also listed as doubtful on the injury report with a head injury.

A lack of depth at defensive end concerns many, as both starters (Eric Moncur and Allen Bailey) are injured and top backup Adewale Ojomo is suspended.

However, most of all, the youth and change of the roster is reflected.

At quarterback, Jacory Harris is one of two true freshmen listed as starters. He will be the backup to Marve when Marve is reinstated. Marve, though, like Harris, has never thrown a collegiate pass.

At receiver, true freshmen Travis Benjamin and Aldarious Johnson are listed as backups, but they are expected to play like veterans. This is in addition to fellow freshmen LaRon Byrd, Davon Johnson and Jermaine McKenzie (redshirt), who are not listed but are expected to contribute.

On defense, defensive end Marcus Robinson is the only true freshman listed as a starter. However, several freshmen are expected to play right away on the defensive side of the ball.

On the line, Marcus Forston, Gavin Hardin, Andrew Smith and Micanor Regis should all see the field.

Linebackers Sean Spence and Jordan Futch, both true freshmen, are listed on the depth chart and will play a lot. Arthur Brown, another true freshman, will play on special teams and work into the defense as well.

In the secondary, more freshmen jump off the page, as Brandon Harris and Vaughn Telemaque both figure into the rotation early and often.

Overall, the depth chart is bottom heavy – loaded with freshmen, redshirt freshmen and sophomores. This reflects a team that plans to make a lot of noise in the years to come.

However, look for most of the heavy lifting to be done by the upperclassmen.

James and running mate Graig Cooper will be the focal point of the offense, and they will run behind a veteran offensive line. Additionally, the defense will be spearheaded by its linebacker corps, led by team leader Glenn Cook. Colin McCarthy, Daryl Sharpton, Romeo Davis and Spencer Adkins also will play big roles. They might sound familiar as they have been the core of this group for the past two seasons as well.

All in all, the depth chart is starting to get back to the talent needed for championship runs. It might not be pretty early on, but it is certainly promising.

Dan Stein

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...