University presidents seek to lower drinking age, Shalala says it could cost lives

The national drinking age has been 21 since 1984, but recently about 100 U.S. universities created quite a stir by signing a statement asking lawmakers to consider lowering the drinking age to 18.

The statement, a part of the Amethyst Initiative, argues that the 21-year-old drinking age encourages binge drinking among college students. It was not signed by University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

“Lowering the drinking age would cost lives,” Shalala said. “We cannot pretend that changing the age will save lives and I’m not willing to be in favor of something that is inconsistent with research.”

Shalala also said the current law saves 1,000 lives a year.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) President Laura Dean-Mooney agreed with Shalala. In a press release, she said that the current drinking age has reduced drunk driving and underage and binge drinking.

The number of 16- to 20-year-old drunk drivers killed annually has fallen by half since the 21-year-old drinking age was passed, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety,

Shalala has asked every leader, including those from Ohio State University, Duke University, Dartmouth College and Johnson and Wales University, to reconsider.

“I lived in an era and ran universities when the drinking age was 18,” Shalala said. “I saw young people die, and I don’t want to take the responsibility of going against what science says.”

Some students, on the other hand, are in favor of lowering the drinking age.

“Just because alcohol is more accessible doesn’t mean they’re going to drink more than they already do,” Eling Tsai, a 20-year-old senior said. “It would also cut down the amount of arrests made for underage drinking at football games.”

Shalala added that when she spoke to students, many were in favor of lowering the age.

“Binge drinking is a serious problem on college campuses, but I believe students are becoming increasingly more responsible,” she said. “At the end of the day, we’re talking about lives and futures.”

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...