University presidents seek to lower drinking age, Shalala says it could cost lives

The national drinking age has been 21 since 1984, but recently about 100 U.S. universities created quite a stir by signing a statement asking lawmakers to consider lowering the drinking age to 18.

The statement, a part of the Amethyst Initiative, argues that the 21-year-old drinking age encourages binge drinking among college students. It was not signed by University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

“Lowering the drinking age would cost lives,” Shalala said. “We cannot pretend that changing the age will save lives and I’m not willing to be in favor of something that is inconsistent with research.”

Shalala also said the current law saves 1,000 lives a year.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) President Laura Dean-Mooney agreed with Shalala. In a press release, she said that the current drinking age has reduced drunk driving and underage and binge drinking.

The number of 16- to 20-year-old drunk drivers killed annually has fallen by half since the 21-year-old drinking age was passed, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety,

Shalala has asked every leader, including those from Ohio State University, Duke University, Dartmouth College and Johnson and Wales University, to reconsider.

“I lived in an era and ran universities when the drinking age was 18,” Shalala said. “I saw young people die, and I don’t want to take the responsibility of going against what science says.”

Some students, on the other hand, are in favor of lowering the drinking age.

“Just because alcohol is more accessible doesn’t mean they’re going to drink more than they already do,” Eling Tsai, a 20-year-old senior said. “It would also cut down the amount of arrests made for underage drinking at football games.”

Shalala added that when she spoke to students, many were in favor of lowering the age.

“Binge drinking is a serious problem on college campuses, but I believe students are becoming increasingly more responsible,” she said. “At the end of the day, we’re talking about lives and futures.”

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...