Travel plans finalized for first football game

Dophins fans walk to and from Dolphin Stadium, home of the Miami Hurricanes. The University is planning on running a shuttle from campus to the stadium. FILE PHOTO

The days of pregame festivities during Metrorail rides to the Orange Bowl are over. This Thursday, chartered buses will bring University of Miami students to the first-ever Hurricanes football game at Dolphin Stadium, and administrators are hoping their new transportation system will be a winning strategy.

Students who need a ride to the first game of the season on Aug. 28, can board “luxurious and comfortable” American Coach buses starting at 3:30 p.m. in front of the BankUnited Center, said Dan Westbrook, director of the University Center.

All Thursday games will leave from the BankUnited Center in order to “reduce congestion in the center of campus on a class day,” Westbrook said. Buses for Saturday games will leave from Stanford Circle.
Westbrook estimates that buses will leave for the stadium every 15 to 20 minutes, and the university will provide “enough buses for every student who needs a ride.” Each bus can seat an average of 50 students and will be monitored by staff from the Dean of Students office, resident assistants or other university staff, he added.

The trip from UM’s Coral Gables campus to Dolphin Stadium takes approximately 42 minutes, according to tests conducted by Westbrook which have been taken into consideration by the university; buses will leave hours in advance to prevent students from being late to games. When The Miami Hurricane took the same route last Thursday, the ride took 50 minutes.

Students will be admitted into the game by presenting a sticker on their Cane Card which, for the first game only, will be available at various locations on campus, including the University Center and in the Residential Colleges.

“We want to make it easy for students to get stickers so they get adjusted to the new process,” Westbrook said.

For every other game, stickers will be available at the UC’s Ticketmaster outlet, located just outside the convenience store near the Information Desk area.

For Freshmen Only

Administrators decided to give freshmen the opportunity to ride a “freshmen only” bus to encourage them to participate in the Freshman Walk, an annual UM tradition that allows new students to take a stroll around the football turf in the midst of a cheering audience of fellow Canes fans.

The freshman buses will leave from the back of the BankUnited Center – the side nearest Hecht Residential College. Resident assistants, who will be monitoring buses, will provide specific time and place boarding instructions. Upon arriving at the stadium, freshmen will be instructed about where to go for the Freshman Walk.

Freshmen may also board the regular buses designated for all UM students.

Dining hall hours extended for first two Thursday games

For the first two Thursday games (Aug. 28 and Nov. 13), the dining halls will be open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

“We want to keep the dining halls open continuously from lunch through dinner to accommodate students going to the football games,” said Mel Tenen, assistant vice president of Dining and Vending Services. Dining hall hours have not yet been determined for Saturday games. “We will possibly adjust the [dining hall]hours based on the time of the Saturday games, but game times haven’t been released to us at this time,” Tenen said.

Prohibited Items

The following items will not be allowed on to the bus or inside Dolphin Stadium. The rules apply to all Dolphin Stadium guests; not just students, Westbrook said. UM administrators say they will take it seriously if a student disobeys the bus rules.

“There are going to be consequences,” said Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs. “If students don’t abide by the rules and regulations of the university and American Coach, the dean of students will follow up and it could result in not being able to use the bus or attend future games.”

• Alcoholic beverages
  • Backpacks
  • Boom boxes
  • Bottles
  • Camcorders
  • Cans
  • Chairs
  • Coolers, ice chests, picnic baskets
  • Drugs
  • Fireworks
  • Inflatable balls, toys or balloons
  • Noise makers: horns, whistles, air horns, musical instruments, drums
  • Potential projectiles: baseballs, basketballs, footballs, frisbees, fruit
  • Poles
  • Tripods
  • Umbrellas
  • Weapons
First game (Thurs., Aug. 28, Charleston Southern, 7:30 p.m.) Future Thursday games Future Saturday games
Bus pick-up location* BankUnited Center, starting at 3:30 p.m., every 15-20 min. BankUnited Center (starting four hours before game time), every 15-20 min. Stanford Circle (starting four hours before game time), every 15-20 min
Dining hall hours 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. N/A N/A
Where can I get a sticker (admission to game)? Various locations on campus (the UC, residential colleges, resident assistants) The UC’s TicketMaster outlet (outside the convenience store near the Information Desk area) The UC’s TicketMaster outlet

*For the first game only, freshmen can ride buses designated for “freshmen only,” located at the back of the BankUnited Center, starting at approximately 3:30 p.m. Once at the stadium, students who take the “freshmen only” buses will be instructed about how to participate in the Freshman Walk.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...