The Battle for America

Suddenly the feeling that we are all witnessing history in the making seems real. We have become spectators to Barack Obama’s battle for the presidency.

By now we’ve all come to realize that Obama represents change; change in the way elections are run, change in the way politicians relate to their constituency, and what we hope will be change in America’s future. We know what Obama represents but the larger question still remains: who does Obama represent? This question has led to some of his harshest criticisms, claiming that he is “not black enough” or an “elitist snob who alienates women.” To some extent these critiques hold true. Obama is half black and half white. This forces him to bridge the racial chasm that has divided the country for over two hundred years in just a few months.

However, criticizing Obama’s skin color as being too dark or too light seems almost as petty as arguing whether the glass is half empty or half full. With a biracial presidential candidate, isn’t America taking a giant leap toward racial equality and understanding? Along with being judged by his skin color, Obama’s appeal to the masses is also judged by his education. It is undeniably true that he appeals to historically elitist crowds of intellectual liberals as well as the hipster youth culture that has glorified him as the hope for the next generation.

Yet, with college degrees taking the place of high school diplomas, shouldn’t our leader represent the higher education that for so many has become the new American dream? Finally with his defeat of democratic rival Hillary Clinton, Obama faces what may be his toughest battle yet: uniting a divided Democratic party under his banner of change.

Nevertheless, Obama marches onward, ever stronger, toward November with his popularity seeming to increase as time passes and his banner of change flying high. Because change, in the end, is not only what Barack Obama stands for, but what he represents. Obama’s campaign symbolizes the future of America. He stands for a country that sees beyond black and white, a country that is learning at an ever increasing rate, and a new kind of Democratic Party that represents men and women equally.

Suddenly we have all become aware that we are witnessing history in the making as Barack Obama battles not only for the presidency, but also for the future of America.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...