The Battle for America

Suddenly the feeling that we are all witnessing history in the making seems real. We have become spectators to Barack Obama’s battle for the presidency.

By now we’ve all come to realize that Obama represents change; change in the way elections are run, change in the way politicians relate to their constituency, and what we hope will be change in America’s future. We know what Obama represents but the larger question still remains: who does Obama represent? This question has led to some of his harshest criticisms, claiming that he is “not black enough” or an “elitist snob who alienates women.” To some extent these critiques hold true. Obama is half black and half white. This forces him to bridge the racial chasm that has divided the country for over two hundred years in just a few months.

However, criticizing Obama’s skin color as being too dark or too light seems almost as petty as arguing whether the glass is half empty or half full. With a biracial presidential candidate, isn’t America taking a giant leap toward racial equality and understanding? Along with being judged by his skin color, Obama’s appeal to the masses is also judged by his education. It is undeniably true that he appeals to historically elitist crowds of intellectual liberals as well as the hipster youth culture that has glorified him as the hope for the next generation.

Yet, with college degrees taking the place of high school diplomas, shouldn’t our leader represent the higher education that for so many has become the new American dream? Finally with his defeat of democratic rival Hillary Clinton, Obama faces what may be his toughest battle yet: uniting a divided Democratic party under his banner of change.

Nevertheless, Obama marches onward, ever stronger, toward November with his popularity seeming to increase as time passes and his banner of change flying high. Because change, in the end, is not only what Barack Obama stands for, but what he represents. Obama’s campaign symbolizes the future of America. He stands for a country that sees beyond black and white, a country that is learning at an ever increasing rate, and a new kind of Democratic Party that represents men and women equally.

Suddenly we have all become aware that we are witnessing history in the making as Barack Obama battles not only for the presidency, but also for the future of America.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...