Steven E. Chaykin, 57, Board of Trustees member

Steven E. Chaykin, 57, died on Aug. 13, as he attempted to save his wife after she fell in the Roaring Fork River near Aspen, Colo.

Chaykin earned his bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami in 1973 and 1976 respectively.

After graduating, he was the president of the University of Miami Citizens Board from 2007 to 2008 and ex-officio member of the University of Miami Board of Trustees.

“He was a caring, loving and generous man,” said Herena Souto, assistant director of the Citizens Board. “Not only to his friends and family, but to the university as well.”

Chaykin was currently a shareholder at the law firm of Akerman and Senterfitt, where he focused on white-collar criminal defense, government investigations and securities litigation.

His professional achievements include being named Best of the Bar by South Florida Business Journal in 2006 and being named as a member of Florida Trend’s Legal Elite from 2004 to 2006.

He is survived by his wife Melissa and 10-year-old-daugther daughter, Sydney.

To view Chaykin’s online guestbook, visit www.legacy.com/Herald/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=114565462.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...