Steven E. Chaykin, 57, Board of Trustees member

Steven E. Chaykin, 57, died on Aug. 13, as he attempted to save his wife after she fell in the Roaring Fork River near Aspen, Colo.

Chaykin earned his bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami in 1973 and 1976 respectively.

After graduating, he was the president of the University of Miami Citizens Board from 2007 to 2008 and ex-officio member of the University of Miami Board of Trustees.

“He was a caring, loving and generous man,” said Herena Souto, assistant director of the Citizens Board. “Not only to his friends and family, but to the university as well.”

Chaykin was currently a shareholder at the law firm of Akerman and Senterfitt, where he focused on white-collar criminal defense, government investigations and securities litigation.

His professional achievements include being named Best of the Bar by South Florida Business Journal in 2006 and being named as a member of Florida Trend’s Legal Elite from 2004 to 2006.

He is survived by his wife Melissa and 10-year-old-daugther daughter, Sydney.

To view Chaykin’s online guestbook, visit www.legacy.com/Herald/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=114565462.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...