Real-life student health questions answered

Q: I’m going to a big party tonight but a huge zit just popped up on my face. What’s the fastest way to get rid of it?

A: There is nothing more fun than making out with a scruffy person, until you wake up the next morning with a huge zit on your face. Well, maybe that’s not how it happened, but I can tell you how to get rid of it quick and cheap. My favorite way to get rid of these pesky puss-filled boils is to use rubbing alcohol – yes, good old isopropyl alcohol from your local pharmacy. It’s also the main ingredient in most over-the-counter acne products. Another great zit remover is toothpaste. To get rid of the redness and ease swelling before your party, cover an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it against the sucker before applying the alcohol. If you have time, toothpaste it overnight. If you want to spend more, I have heard amazing things about the Proactiv Refining Mask (proactiv.com).

Q: I want to stay fit, but I still want to go out drinking. What are the healthiest, lowest-calorie alcoholic drinks that won’t sabotage my diet?

A: Skinny Bitch! Chill out, I’m not calling you that; it’s a drink. A Skinny Bitch is a mixed drink of vodka and Diet Coke. You want to stay fit but want to party which, as a chick in Miami, I completely understand. Also, vodka and Crystal Light is a great flavored drink. Just mix with ice and you’ve got a great low-cal, fruity drink. The problem is you’re going to have a hard time getting someone to serve you Crystal Light in the Grove. At the end of the day, though, there is no such thing as a healthy alcoholic drink; low-cal, yes, but if you want to be healthy, you have to stop drinking completely.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...