Real-life student health questions answered

Q: I’m going to a big party tonight but a huge zit just popped up on my face. What’s the fastest way to get rid of it?

A: There is nothing more fun than making out with a scruffy person, until you wake up the next morning with a huge zit on your face. Well, maybe that’s not how it happened, but I can tell you how to get rid of it quick and cheap. My favorite way to get rid of these pesky puss-filled boils is to use rubbing alcohol – yes, good old isopropyl alcohol from your local pharmacy. It’s also the main ingredient in most over-the-counter acne products. Another great zit remover is toothpaste. To get rid of the redness and ease swelling before your party, cover an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it against the sucker before applying the alcohol. If you have time, toothpaste it overnight. If you want to spend more, I have heard amazing things about the Proactiv Refining Mask (proactiv.com).

Q: I want to stay fit, but I still want to go out drinking. What are the healthiest, lowest-calorie alcoholic drinks that won’t sabotage my diet?

A: Skinny Bitch! Chill out, I’m not calling you that; it’s a drink. A Skinny Bitch is a mixed drink of vodka and Diet Coke. You want to stay fit but want to party which, as a chick in Miami, I completely understand. Also, vodka and Crystal Light is a great flavored drink. Just mix with ice and you’ve got a great low-cal, fruity drink. The problem is you’re going to have a hard time getting someone to serve you Crystal Light in the Grove. At the end of the day, though, there is no such thing as a healthy alcoholic drink; low-cal, yes, but if you want to be healthy, you have to stop drinking completely.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...