Our Opinion: Minimum drinking age should be lowered to 18

The United States is the land of opportunity, home base of the free world and one of few countries that prevents its adults from consuming alcohol. So why then do we allow the government to get involved with our personal choice?

In 1984, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act was passed and rode the coattails of the Federal Aid Highway Act, essentially rendering individual states powerless against the big bad government.

The legislation consumed the states’ individuals’ rights. States could not, and still cannot survive without the additional ten percent increase of annual highway funding provided by the Highway Act. But now, that funding is running low.

In the 14 years since the Minimum Drinking Age Act was passed, drunk driving accidents have decreased significantly, but unfortunately, our commitment to truth and knowledge has fizzled out.

We live in an environment where some can and some can’t. Envy from underclassmen induces curiosity which results in binge drinking; underage students try to prove to the legal ones, “I can too.”

This issue recently raised concern among over 100 university presidents (sans Shalala) who signed the Amethyst Initiative. The initiative suggests that the current drinking age promotes binge drinking and should be lowered back to 18. Whether or not you agree, it is important to make an informed decision.

It is our responsibility to learn and teach about this demonized drug. Just because society has deemed something illegal does not mean we should ignore our obligation to educate. We must learn to respect and appreciate alcohol, and we must do the same for ourselves.

Lowering the drinking age back to 18 may not save lives directly, but faith in personal choice and education certainly will.

Editorials represent the majority of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...