New resources available through the Richter Library

The University of Miami Libraries have implemented several new services over the summer with the specific purpose of better serving the UM students and faculty.

IBISweb or IBISweb Encore?

You now have choices when searching the library’s many resources. IBISWEB Encore is an interface for the library catalog that works similar to Amazon by providing relevancy-ranked keyword search results with thumbnails of book covers, as well as ways to easily view your search results by format, collection, language, publication date, or subject tags. Encore searches the same library catalog database as IBISWEB Classic, but presents the results in a user-friendly style. IBISWEB Classic is still available for those who prefer its functionality. Select IBISweb or IBISweb Encore from the tab menu at the top of the library homepage.

MultiSearch

MultiSearch is a new discovery tool that allows you to retrieve results from multiple databases with a single search. MultiSearch is accessed from the new tab menu on the top of the Library web site. Simply enter your search term and select a subject category. The library has preconfigured a selection of core electronic resources for each subject category, or you can select your own preferred mix of resources from the database listing on the MultiSearch home page.

Uncover your Creativity in the Digital Media Services (DMS) Lab

Digital Media Services has expanded on the first floor of Richter Library, adjacent to the Information Commons. In this lab you can design a poster or brochure, build a web site, edit video, work with Flash animation, convert analog formats to digital, and more. DMS workstations are equipped with state-of-the-art digital image, audio and video editing tools, giving faculty and students the resources needed to develop and present content in many new ways. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a first-time user, DMS can help you achieve your project goals. The trained staff are eager to assist and available from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., Monday-Friday. Visit the web site for more information or to make a reservation: www.library.miami.edu/services/medialab/

More Seating Coming Soon to Richter

Space for additional seating has been added to Richter Library. Look for new group study tables, more chair options, and a greater number of seats. We’ve added workstations to the large group study (Room 122) and it is now available for individual users or for workshops.

Get Help Online with vLib, our Virtual Library Tutorials

Are you a new user of IBISweb? Need help using Course Reserves? The library now offers online tutorials designed to instruct patrons on how to get the most out of library services. This growing collection of short, narrated videos will help you navigate the library Web site, locate books and articles, read call numbers, and a lot more.

Visit the vLib web site at: www.library.miami.edu/vlib

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...