Tennis

Hurricane tennis summer recap

FOLLOW THROUGH: David Rosenfeld returns a serve at a match last season. The Men's Tennis team lost in the second round of teh NCAA tournament to Florida, 4-1. Photo Credit: File Photo

It was a successful summer for the Miami Men’s Tennis team. The men advanced to their first ever ACC championship match, had a doubles team ranked in the nation’s top five and reached the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The team was seeded seventh in April’s ACC tournament, but it pulled a string of upsets to reach the championship match against the undefeated University of Virginia, ultimately falling to the national No. 1 Cavaliers.

The Canes then regrouped for the NCAA tournament. Miami beat South Florida in the first round of the NCAA tournament, but fell to rival Florida in the second round by a score of 4-1.

In the doubles bracket, the team of Daniel Vallverdu and Carl Sundberg was seeded third, but they failed to get past the round of 16, losing to the 21st ranked team from Ole Miss. The good news for the team is that the two will be returning for next season.

The Women’s Tennis team was not quite as successful at the ACC championships as the men, but they did fare better in the NCAA draw.

The women were seeded sixth at the conference championships but fell to archrival Florida State in the second round. Although the team would have liked to have won the ACC title, the loss did give the team the opportunity to work on an areas of concern before entering the NCAA tournament.

Ranked No. 12, the team hosted a regional in Coral Gables for the fourth straight year. In their first two matchups, the Canes advanced without dropping a match, shutting out Quinnipac and Notre Dame 4-0 each.

With the win, the women moved on to their fourth sweet sixteen appearance in five years. The Canes were unable to get out of the round of 16, though, falling to No. 5 Baylor 4-1.

In individual play, Laura Vallverdu advanced to the round of 16 in singles, and duplicated that effort in doubles with partner Romy Farah.

The season ended for the Hurricanes at the hands of the best. Vallverdu lost in singles to No. 1 Aurelija Miseviciute of Arkansas. Vallverdu and Farah lost to the top ranked doubles team of Tracey Lin and Reka Zalameda of UCLA to end their doubles run.

The All-American siblings – Laura and Daniel Vallverdu – will be returning next season in hopes of leading their respective squads to ACC and NCAA glory.

Alex Bryant

Contributing Sports Writer

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...