Alan Swan, 74, School of Law professor

Alan Swan, a law professor at the University of Miami for the past 37 years, was killed June 8 in a hit-and-run automobile accident.

“Alan Swan was the example of good citizenship at the law school,” said Irwin P. Stotzky, a UM law professor and director of the Center for the Study of Human Rights. “He had goodwill, was extremely intelligent, hard working and a good friend.”

Swan, 74, was a prominent, national authority on international trade and business. Before coming to the university, he worked as the assistant general counsel for the U.S. Agency for International Development and for an international financial services law firm called Milbank, Tweed, Hadley and McCloy.

At UM, he was well-liked by his students and his most popular classes included international business transactions, international economic law, and commercial law.

“Professor Swan taught with a passion for the law and for his students that is seldom found in the teaching world,” Michael Serota, a third-year law student, posted on the Law School’s remembrance Web site for Alan Swan.

Swan is survived by his wife Mary Joe Swan, who is recovering from injuries she received from the same accident, and his three children, Alan Jr., Amalie Swan Johnson and Kathleen Swan.

To view Swan’s remembrance page, visit www.law.miami.edu/facadmin/memoriam/aswan/remembrances.php?op=4.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...