Alan Swan, 74, School of Law professor

Alan Swan, a law professor at the University of Miami for the past 37 years, was killed June 8 in a hit-and-run automobile accident.

“Alan Swan was the example of good citizenship at the law school,” said Irwin P. Stotzky, a UM law professor and director of the Center for the Study of Human Rights. “He had goodwill, was extremely intelligent, hard working and a good friend.”

Swan, 74, was a prominent, national authority on international trade and business. Before coming to the university, he worked as the assistant general counsel for the U.S. Agency for International Development and for an international financial services law firm called Milbank, Tweed, Hadley and McCloy.

At UM, he was well-liked by his students and his most popular classes included international business transactions, international economic law, and commercial law.

“Professor Swan taught with a passion for the law and for his students that is seldom found in the teaching world,” Michael Serota, a third-year law student, posted on the Law School’s remembrance Web site for Alan Swan.

Swan is survived by his wife Mary Joe Swan, who is recovering from injuries she received from the same accident, and his three children, Alan Jr., Amalie Swan Johnson and Kathleen Swan.

To view Swan’s remembrance page, visit www.law.miami.edu/facadmin/memoriam/aswan/remembrances.php?op=4.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The Florida Law School's Consortium for Racial Justice will leverage the strengths of every law

In a letter on Wednesday, President Julio Frenk unveiled a 15-point plan to improve and build upon d

Two technology experts with the University of Miami explain the origins of “bots” and their role on

During Tuesday’s virtual events, members of the University of Miami leadership discussed the essenti

Groundbreaking scientific research and innovative discoveries from the University of Miami will be f