University open for normal business Monday

UPDATED AUG. 17 AT 5:54 P.M.

The university will open Monday morning as planned, the crisis decision team announced after its 5 p.m. meeting.

As of now, all previously scheduled orientation and move-in schedules remain in place, said Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Gilbert Arias.

The university continues to monitor the storm.

ORIGINAL STORY

As Tropical Storm Fay approaches South Florida, university operations will continue as usual for now, the crisis decision team announced after a noon meeting Sunday.

Facilities Planning will begin removing outdoor furniture and other movable objects Sunday afternoon.

The decision team will meet again Sunday at 5 p.m. to determine whether any other steps are needed.

President Donna E. Shalala, attending the Beijing Olympics, called in from China for the noon meeting.

For more information, call UM’s Hurricane Hotline at 305-284-5151 or visit www.miami.edu/prepare.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Matthew Bunch

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...