UM student Kelly Ann Jones’ autopsy released

POSTED 4:37 P.M. 7/11/08

As the murder investigation of one University of Miami student continues, information about the death of UM freshman Kelly Ann Jones is finally coming out.

An autopsy report obtained by The Miami Hurricane on July 10 reveals that marijuana, amphetamines, cough medicine and alcohol were detected in Jones’ body.

“[Jones’] cause of death is accidental, with no foul play involved,” said Juan Villaba, a detective and spokesperson for the Miami-Dade Police Department.

Jones fell to her death from a third floor balcony of Mahoney Residential College, an on-campus dormitory, in the early morning of April 6.

Although the autopsy report and cause of death has been released, Jones’ case is still “technically open,” added Villaba.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

VIDEO FROM APRIL PRESS CONFERENCE

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...