UM student found dead in South Miami home Saturday

Eddie Pieron, a 21 year-old University of Miami senior from Woodland Hills, Ca., was found slain Saturday in his South Miami home, police said Monday. Pieron studied biology and psychology, according to his Facebook profile.

A friend found Pieron’s body Saturday afternoon and ran to a neighbor’s house for help.

Neighbors told The Miami Herald that a party had been held at the house Friday night; Pieron’s birthday. Neighbors reported that the party continued into the early morning of Saturday.

“We went to bed kind of late, like 2 a.m., and they were still out there,” neighbor Justin Woodward, 28, told The Herald.

The case is being investigated as a homicide by Miami-Dade police.

Pieron is the second University of Miami student to perish in less than four months.

The other unrelated incident happened in early April when freshman Kelly Ann Jones fell from the third floor balcony of Mahoney Residential College on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus, dying shortly afterward. The cause of Jones’ death is still under investigation.

Friends have dedicated a Facebook group called “Remembering Eddie Pieron,” where people can leave their thoughts and memories.

Pieron is described by friends as a “great guy” who is “generous, loyal, easygoing, and without a malicious sinew in his body.”

UM senior Casey Contreary writes, “Eddie was my friend, my roommate, my brother – I’ll never forget the good times we had together.”

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...