UM student found dead in South Miami home Saturday

Eddie Pieron, a 21 year-old University of Miami senior from Woodland Hills, Ca., was found slain Saturday in his South Miami home, police said Monday. Pieron studied biology and psychology, according to his Facebook profile.

A friend found Pieron’s body Saturday afternoon and ran to a neighbor’s house for help.

Neighbors told The Miami Herald that a party had been held at the house Friday night; Pieron’s birthday. Neighbors reported that the party continued into the early morning of Saturday.

“We went to bed kind of late, like 2 a.m., and they were still out there,” neighbor Justin Woodward, 28, told The Herald.

The case is being investigated as a homicide by Miami-Dade police.

Pieron is the second University of Miami student to perish in less than four months.

The other unrelated incident happened in early April when freshman Kelly Ann Jones fell from the third floor balcony of Mahoney Residential College on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus, dying shortly afterward. The cause of Jones’ death is still under investigation.

Friends have dedicated a Facebook group called “Remembering Eddie Pieron,” where people can leave their thoughts and memories.

Pieron is described by friends as a “great guy” who is “generous, loyal, easygoing, and without a malicious sinew in his body.”

UM senior Casey Contreary writes, “Eddie was my friend, my roommate, my brother – I’ll never forget the good times we had together.”

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...