UM student found dead in South Miami home Saturday

Eddie Pieron, a 21 year-old University of Miami senior from Woodland Hills, Ca., was found slain Saturday in his South Miami home, police said Monday. Pieron studied biology and psychology, according to his Facebook profile.

A friend found Pieron’s body Saturday afternoon and ran to a neighbor’s house for help.

Neighbors told The Miami Herald that a party had been held at the house Friday night; Pieron’s birthday. Neighbors reported that the party continued into the early morning of Saturday.

“We went to bed kind of late, like 2 a.m., and they were still out there,” neighbor Justin Woodward, 28, told The Herald.

The case is being investigated as a homicide by Miami-Dade police.

Pieron is the second University of Miami student to perish in less than four months.

The other unrelated incident happened in early April when freshman Kelly Ann Jones fell from the third floor balcony of Mahoney Residential College on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus, dying shortly afterward. The cause of Jones’ death is still under investigation.

Friends have dedicated a Facebook group called “Remembering Eddie Pieron,” where people can leave their thoughts and memories.

Pieron is described by friends as a “great guy” who is “generous, loyal, easygoing, and without a malicious sinew in his body.”

UM senior Casey Contreary writes, “Eddie was my friend, my roommate, my brother – I’ll never forget the good times we had together.”

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...