UM student found dead in South Miami home Saturday

Eddie Pieron, a 21 year-old University of Miami senior from Woodland Hills, Ca., was found slain Saturday in his South Miami home, police said Monday. Pieron studied biology and psychology, according to his Facebook profile.

A friend found Pieron’s body Saturday afternoon and ran to a neighbor’s house for help.

Neighbors told The Miami Herald that a party had been held at the house Friday night; Pieron’s birthday. Neighbors reported that the party continued into the early morning of Saturday.

“We went to bed kind of late, like 2 a.m., and they were still out there,” neighbor Justin Woodward, 28, told The Herald.

The case is being investigated as a homicide by Miami-Dade police.

Pieron is the second University of Miami student to perish in less than four months.

The other unrelated incident happened in early April when freshman Kelly Ann Jones fell from the third floor balcony of Mahoney Residential College on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus, dying shortly afterward. The cause of Jones’ death is still under investigation.

Friends have dedicated a Facebook group called “Remembering Eddie Pieron,” where people can leave their thoughts and memories.

Pieron is described by friends as a “great guy” who is “generous, loyal, easygoing, and without a malicious sinew in his body.”

UM senior Casey Contreary writes, “Eddie was my friend, my roommate, my brother – I’ll never forget the good times we had together.”

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...