BASEBALL: Assistant head coach resigns

University of Miami baseball assistant head coach Gino DiMare, known for his recruiting prowess, resigned Friday after 12 years on head coach Jim Morris’ staff.

DiMare joined the staff in 1997 as a volunteer, and was viewed by many as a possible replacement for Morris when he retires. A Miami local, he played at UM from 1989-1992 after graduating from Westminster Christian School.

“I have really enjoyed my 12 years on the Miami coaching staff,” DiMare said in a statement Friday. “It’s been a tremendous opportunity being able to coach at my alma mater. I have a wonderful wife as well as young daughters, and I wanted to spend more time with them.”

As a recruiting coordinator, he was known for strong classes built on local talent. In eight years as recruiting coordinator, four of his classes were ranked in the top-20.

His performance as hitting coach has arguably been more impressive. Seven of the nine offenses DiMare has coached have ranked among the top 10 in school history, led by the 1999 national champions who batted .333 on their way to the title.

“Gino has been a very important part of our Hurricane baseball program going back to his playing days,” Morris said. “He’s played a big part in our winning national titles during my time and our advancing to the College World Series. I can’t thank him enough for his tireless work on the recruiting trail in keeping Miami as one of the top programs…He will always be a Hurricane.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

June 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...