BASEBALL: Assistant head coach resigns

University of Miami baseball assistant head coach Gino DiMare, known for his recruiting prowess, resigned Friday after 12 years on head coach Jim Morris’ staff.

DiMare joined the staff in 1997 as a volunteer, and was viewed by many as a possible replacement for Morris when he retires. A Miami local, he played at UM from 1989-1992 after graduating from Westminster Christian School.

“I have really enjoyed my 12 years on the Miami coaching staff,” DiMare said in a statement Friday. “It’s been a tremendous opportunity being able to coach at my alma mater. I have a wonderful wife as well as young daughters, and I wanted to spend more time with them.”

As a recruiting coordinator, he was known for strong classes built on local talent. In eight years as recruiting coordinator, four of his classes were ranked in the top-20.

His performance as hitting coach has arguably been more impressive. Seven of the nine offenses DiMare has coached have ranked among the top 10 in school history, led by the 1999 national champions who batted .333 on their way to the title.

“Gino has been a very important part of our Hurricane baseball program going back to his playing days,” Morris said. “He’s played a big part in our winning national titles during my time and our advancing to the College World Series. I can’t thank him enough for his tireless work on the recruiting trail in keeping Miami as one of the top programs…He will always be a Hurricane.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

June 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...