BASEBALL: Assistant head coach resigns

University of Miami baseball assistant head coach Gino DiMare, known for his recruiting prowess, resigned Friday after 12 years on head coach Jim Morris’ staff.

DiMare joined the staff in 1997 as a volunteer, and was viewed by many as a possible replacement for Morris when he retires. A Miami local, he played at UM from 1989-1992 after graduating from Westminster Christian School.

“I have really enjoyed my 12 years on the Miami coaching staff,” DiMare said in a statement Friday. “It’s been a tremendous opportunity being able to coach at my alma mater. I have a wonderful wife as well as young daughters, and I wanted to spend more time with them.”

As a recruiting coordinator, he was known for strong classes built on local talent. In eight years as recruiting coordinator, four of his classes were ranked in the top-20.

His performance as hitting coach has arguably been more impressive. Seven of the nine offenses DiMare has coached have ranked among the top 10 in school history, led by the 1999 national champions who batted .333 on their way to the title.

“Gino has been a very important part of our Hurricane baseball program going back to his playing days,” Morris said. “He’s played a big part in our winning national titles during my time and our advancing to the College World Series. I can’t thank him enough for his tireless work on the recruiting trail in keeping Miami as one of the top programs…He will always be a Hurricane.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

June 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.