BASEBALL: Assistant head coach resigns

University of Miami baseball assistant head coach Gino DiMare, known for his recruiting prowess, resigned Friday after 12 years on head coach Jim Morris’ staff.

DiMare joined the staff in 1997 as a volunteer, and was viewed by many as a possible replacement for Morris when he retires. A Miami local, he played at UM from 1989-1992 after graduating from Westminster Christian School.

“I have really enjoyed my 12 years on the Miami coaching staff,” DiMare said in a statement Friday. “It’s been a tremendous opportunity being able to coach at my alma mater. I have a wonderful wife as well as young daughters, and I wanted to spend more time with them.”

As a recruiting coordinator, he was known for strong classes built on local talent. In eight years as recruiting coordinator, four of his classes were ranked in the top-20.

His performance as hitting coach has arguably been more impressive. Seven of the nine offenses DiMare has coached have ranked among the top 10 in school history, led by the 1999 national champions who batted .333 on their way to the title.

“Gino has been a very important part of our Hurricane baseball program going back to his playing days,” Morris said. “He’s played a big part in our winning national titles during my time and our advancing to the College World Series. I can’t thank him enough for his tireless work on the recruiting trail in keeping Miami as one of the top programs…He will always be a Hurricane.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

June 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...