BASEBALL: Assistant head coach resigns

University of Miami baseball assistant head coach Gino DiMare, known for his recruiting prowess, resigned Friday after 12 years on head coach Jim Morris’ staff.

DiMare joined the staff in 1997 as a volunteer, and was viewed by many as a possible replacement for Morris when he retires. A Miami local, he played at UM from 1989-1992 after graduating from Westminster Christian School.

“I have really enjoyed my 12 years on the Miami coaching staff,” DiMare said in a statement Friday. “It’s been a tremendous opportunity being able to coach at my alma mater. I have a wonderful wife as well as young daughters, and I wanted to spend more time with them.”

As a recruiting coordinator, he was known for strong classes built on local talent. In eight years as recruiting coordinator, four of his classes were ranked in the top-20.

His performance as hitting coach has arguably been more impressive. Seven of the nine offenses DiMare has coached have ranked among the top 10 in school history, led by the 1999 national champions who batted .333 on their way to the title.

“Gino has been a very important part of our Hurricane baseball program going back to his playing days,” Morris said. “He’s played a big part in our winning national titles during my time and our advancing to the College World Series. I can’t thank him enough for his tireless work on the recruiting trail in keeping Miami as one of the top programs…He will always be a Hurricane.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

June 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

Dozens of University of Miami students seized the opportunity to learn across the world this summer. ...

New and returning students share some of their expectations for the semester on the first day of cla ...

Nearly 100 University of Miami students participated in Orientation Outreach to assist the staff at ...

Take a look back on new student orientation and browse through a gallery of photos from various even ...

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

Hurricanes will travel to Gainesville in 2024, host Gators at Hard Rock Stadium in 2025 ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

The story of Canes Hoops' 10-day journey in Italy told through the words and images of the play ...