BASEBALL: Georgia shocks Miami in College World Series opener

Before Saturday night’s game against Georgia, Miami was 45-0 when leading after the eighth inning.

Make that 45-1.

Closer Carlos Gutierrez (5-4) gave up four runs on three hits and an error to blow a 4-3 lead.

Georgia’s Bryce Massanari swung at the first pitch for a single up the middle and moved over on a sacrifice bunt by Matt Cerione. The next batter Robbie O’Bryan struck out, but the ball went past the catcher Yasmani Grandal to put runners at third and first with one out.

Lyle Allen followed with an RBI single, and on the next play, Gutierrez threw the ball into right field on an easy slow chopper that scored two. Ryan Peisel singled over the head of the third baseman for his third hit of the night to cap the scoring for Georgia.

Meanwhile, closer Joshua Fields (3-2) shut down the Canes in 1 1-3 innings as the fourth pitcher to take the mound for the Bulldogs.

The first three hitters for the Hurricanes blasted long balls.

Jemile Weeks hit his 12th homer, a solo shot in the first to give Miami an early 1-0 lead.

Joey Lewis doubled to left to lead off the third and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Allen. After Miles Starr grounded out to starter Chris Hernandez, Peisel singled up the middle on a 3-2 pitch to tie the game up at one.

Blake Tekotte regained the lead for the Hurricanes on a two-run no-doubter to right in the bottom half for his 12th of the season.

Peisel came back again in the sixth with his 11th home run after Starr reached first on a bunt with two strikes to tie the game at three apiece.

The Canes took back the lead on a solo shot by Yonder Alonso for his 24th to left center to make it 4-3.

Georgia (42-23-1) will take on Stanford, who won the first game of the World Series 16-5 against fourth seed Florida State, on Monday at 6 p.m. on ESPN2. Miami (52-10) will face FSU in a rematch from a heated three-game series that Miami won in Tallahassee in April. You can listen to that game on WVUM 90.5 FM or WQAM 560 AM or watch it on ESPN2 at 1 p.m.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

June 15, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...