Shalala to be honored with Presidential Medal of Freedom

SHOWING HER MEDAL: President Donna E. Shalala was selected by President George W. Bush to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She will receive her award alongside others in a White House ceremony on June 19. Image courtesy Media Relations

President Donna E. Shalala is now one of 400 others in the world to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Established in 1945 by President Truman, the medal is the nation’s highest civilian award and recognizes “exceptional meritorious service.”

“I am deeply honored by this special recognition. Both as an educator and a public servant, I have always considered it a duty and a privilege to serve my country and to promote the rights and responsibilities of being an engaged citizen of a free nation,” Shalala said in a press conference.

A White House ceremony will be held on Thursday, June 19 where President George W. Bush will honor those chosen.

Shalala became the longest serving U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. She served for eight years, from 1993 to 2001. Then in 2007, President Bush appointed her to co-chair with Senator Bob Dole the Commission on Care for Returning Wounded Warriors. As a chair person, she assessed wounded service member’s transitions from active duty to civilian society.

In June 2001, Shalala became Professor of Political Science and President of the University of Miami. She has more than 25 years of experience as an accomplished scholar, teacher and administrator.

Erika Capek may be contacted at e.capek@umiami.edu.

June 12, 2008

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...