BASEBALL: Miami well-represented in MLB draft

With the seventh pick of the 2008 Major League Baseball first-year player draft, the Cincinnati Reds selected junior first baseman Yonder Alonso, higher than experts had projected. That pick set the tone for a successful opening day for the No. 1 team in the country.

Alonso became the top college first baseman taken, ahead of junior Justin Smoak of the University of South Carolina, who was swept off the board by the Texas Rangers with the 11th pick.

Junior second baseman Jemile Weeks was chosen six players after Alonso at No. 12 by the Oakland Athletics. Weeks was previously selected in the eighth round of the 2005 draft by the Milwaukee Brewers, where his older brother Rickie is the starting second baseman.

The Minnesota Twins rounded out the first round for the Hurricanes with the 27th pick by selecting junior right-handed pitcher Carlos Gutierrez. The Twins have a history of choosing Canes; Alonso was taken by the organization in the 15th round of the 2005 draft.

The Seattle Mariners once again drafted right fielder Dennis Raben with the 66th selection overall in the second round. In 2005, the franchise selected Raben out of high school in the 49th round.

Junior center fielder Blake Tekotte heard his name called in the third round with the 101st pick by the San Diego Padres and sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski in the fourth round with the 129th selection by the Toronto Blue Jays.

Continuing coverage of both days of the draft at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex can be viewed live at MLB.com.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

June 5, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...