BASEBALL: Miami well-represented in MLB draft

With the seventh pick of the 2008 Major League Baseball first-year player draft, the Cincinnati Reds selected junior first baseman Yonder Alonso, higher than experts had projected. That pick set the tone for a successful opening day for the No. 1 team in the country.

Alonso became the top college first baseman taken, ahead of junior Justin Smoak of the University of South Carolina, who was swept off the board by the Texas Rangers with the 11th pick.

Junior second baseman Jemile Weeks was chosen six players after Alonso at No. 12 by the Oakland Athletics. Weeks was previously selected in the eighth round of the 2005 draft by the Milwaukee Brewers, where his older brother Rickie is the starting second baseman.

The Minnesota Twins rounded out the first round for the Hurricanes with the 27th pick by selecting junior right-handed pitcher Carlos Gutierrez. The Twins have a history of choosing Canes; Alonso was taken by the organization in the 15th round of the 2005 draft.

The Seattle Mariners once again drafted right fielder Dennis Raben with the 66th selection overall in the second round. In 2005, the franchise selected Raben out of high school in the 49th round.

Junior center fielder Blake Tekotte heard his name called in the third round with the 101st pick by the San Diego Padres and sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski in the fourth round with the 129th selection by the Toronto Blue Jays.

Continuing coverage of both days of the draft at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex can be viewed live at MLB.com.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

June 5, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...