BASEBALL: Hurricanes earn nation’s No. 1 seed

SITTING, WATCHING, WAITING: Miami head coach Morris and the Hurricanes sit in their locker room, waiting to hear where they will be seeded in the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. The Hurricanes wound up with the No. 1 overall seed. Photo Credit: Christina De Nicole // Hurricane Staff

After hearing the good news that they would be hosting the Coral Gables Regional as the No. 1 national seed of 64 teams for the 2008 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship, Miami players and coaches watching the selection show in the clubhouse were thrown an unexpected curveball.

No. 2 seed Missouri (38-19), No. 3 Mississippi (37-24) and No. 4 Bethune-Cookman (36-20) are set to come to town this weekend in a surprise bracket that left some wondering how the top seed didn’t get matched up with the likes of Mt. St. Mary’s (21-32) or Texas Southern (16-32) in its regional instead of lower No. 1 seeds such as North Carolina or LSU.

Miami will take on Bethune-Cookman in the second game Friday at 4 p.m., following the match-up between Missouri and Mississippi. All games will air on ESPNU, with games at both 12 and 4 p.m. through Sunday, and the final game on Monday if necessary.

Both the Hurricanes and Wildcats made it into the tournament as automatic qualifiers as conference champions in the ACC and Mid-Eastern respectively.

The SEC led all conferences with nine teams selected, with the Big 12 and ACC close behind at six apiece, including four No. 1 seeds in Florida State, N.C. State, North Carolina and Miami.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Ticket Information:

Ticket packages for the entire Coral Gables Regional are $90 for field box, $70 for chairback, $45 for adult general admission and $35 for youth, seniors and students. Single day tickets for each of the first three days of the regional are priced at $25 for field box, $20 for chairback, $15 for adult general admission and $10 for youth, seniors and students. If necessary, tickets for the fourth day of the regional are $20 for field box, $16 for chairback, $10 for adult general admission and $8 for youth, seniors and students. For more information, go to hurricanesports.com or call 1-800-GO-CANES (305-284-CANE in Miami-Dade).

May 26, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...