Hillary Clinton coming to campus

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

POSTED MAY 21 AT 3:02 A.M.
UPDATED MAY 21 AT 10:01 A.M.

After splitting Tuesday’s primaries with her rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton will be visiting Coral Gables today, laying out her argument for why she should be the party’s presidential nominee in November.

Clinton is scheduled to speak at an event titled, “Solutions for America,” which begins at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 6 p.m. to the public. Audience members will be permitted to bring still cameras to the event, a change from previous political events hosted at the arena.

Obama is also scheduled to be in Florida today, ending a campaign boycott of the state that began last year when the Republican-controlled state legislature moved the Florida primary to Jan. 29, in defiance of party rules.

He will speak Friday at 3:30 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise. Doors open at 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

The Democratic National Committee said Florida, along with Michigan, which also moved its primary, would not have its delegates seated at the national convention in Denver. Clinton’s hope for winning the party’s nomination hinges on the seating of Florida and Michigan’s delegates at the August gathering.

A decision regarding the delegates will be made May 31, when the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee determines how delegates will be seated at the convention.

Both Obama and Clinton were part of Univision’s Foro Presedencial Democrata last September at the BankUnited Center because the event was a forum, and not a specific campaign event.

For more on Senator Clinton’s visit to campus, visit The Miami Hurricane for updates later today.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Update: The time that the doors will open and when Clinton will speak have been updated based on a more recent press release.

May 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...