Hillary Clinton coming to campus

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

Photo Credit: HILLARYCLINTON.COM

POSTED MAY 21 AT 3:02 A.M.
UPDATED MAY 21 AT 10:01 A.M.

After splitting Tuesday’s primaries with her rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton will be visiting Coral Gables today, laying out her argument for why she should be the party’s presidential nominee in November.

Clinton is scheduled to speak at an event titled, “Solutions for America,” which begins at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 6 p.m. to the public. Audience members will be permitted to bring still cameras to the event, a change from previous political events hosted at the arena.

Obama is also scheduled to be in Florida today, ending a campaign boycott of the state that began last year when the Republican-controlled state legislature moved the Florida primary to Jan. 29, in defiance of party rules.

He will speak Friday at 3:30 p.m. at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise. Doors open at 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

The Democratic National Committee said Florida, along with Michigan, which also moved its primary, would not have its delegates seated at the national convention in Denver. Clinton’s hope for winning the party’s nomination hinges on the seating of Florida and Michigan’s delegates at the August gathering.

A decision regarding the delegates will be made May 31, when the DNC’s Rules and Bylaws Committee determines how delegates will be seated at the convention.

Both Obama and Clinton were part of Univision’s Foro Presedencial Democrata last September at the BankUnited Center because the event was a forum, and not a specific campaign event.

For more on Senator Clinton’s visit to campus, visit The Miami Hurricane for updates later today.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at bunch@miami.edu.

Update: The time that the doors will open and when Clinton will speak have been updated based on a more recent press release.

May 21, 2008

Matthew Bunch

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...