BASEBALL: Canes take care of Tigers

Top-seeded Miami defeated eighth seed Clemson 7-1 Wednesday afternoon on the first day of the ACC tournament in Jacksonville.

ACC Freshman of the Year Chris Hernandez (11-0) threw eight shut-out innings for Miami (44-8, 24-5) and struck out ten batters, five of the first six, as Clemson (30-26-1) starter D.J. Mitchell (6-5) took the loss.

Sophomore third baseman Mark Sobolewski hit his 12th double of the season to left field in the first inning after Mitchell put juniors Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso on with two straight walks and a wild pitch. Sophomore Ryan Jackson hit a sharp drive to center field for a base hit with two outs to score Sobolewski at third and give the Canes an early 3-0 lead.

Hernandez struck out the side in the second and five of the first six outs were

Freshman catcher Yasmani Grandal hit his fourth homer to right field with one out to extend the lead to 4-0 and freshman Joey Terdoslavich hit a two-run double in the sixth and advanced to third on an error by the right fielder with one out to make the score 6-0. It was the seventh hit of the ballgame. Senior centerfielder Blake Tekotte drove a ball to left field to bring home Terdoslavich to close Miami’s scoring for the day.

Clemson scored a run in the ninth as reliever P.J. Fisher faced some trouble.

No. 3 Miami will face Georgia Tech tomorrow at 5 p.m. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Net Florida (Channel 39 on campus) and broadcast on student radio 90.5 FM WVUM.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

May 21, 2008

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...