Thoughts on the University of Miami’s changing reputation

Matt Hall

Matt Hall visited UM when he was a senior in high school. After his tour, he knew he had to come here. “There were so many hot girls in my tour group.” Now, as Matt is ready to graduate this spring, he does not see the same school he came to. “With our rising standards and Shalala trying to make it a good school, we’re getting smarter and less attractive, and it’s so disappointing.” Matt is graduating with one question: “Donna, what are you doing to our school?”

Rachel Spangenthal

Rachel Spangenthal, a junior, is excited for UM to move from its current spot at 52 and break the top 50 in the U.S. News and World Report college rankings. “It used to be when you thought of UM, you thought of sports like our football team, but now our academics are so good,” Spangenthal said, hoping people recognize this in the future. “We’re actually about academics and doing well for our community,” she said. “There are great things happening, it’s not just about partying.”

Melissa Keller

Melissa Keller, an ’76 alum, recalls her time at UM as the “era of the streakers.” Keller remembers looking out her dorm window and seeing people run by naked. “Someone would always shout ‘streaker!’ and we would see some naked bodies running by,” she said. She remembers the streakers always being very tan. “Maybe that’s a reason UM is still referred to as ‘Suntan U.'”

Donna E. Shalala

President Shalala says she has seen the university change tremendously as the rankings indicate. It has moved from 66 to 52 since she has been president. “We don’t admit thugs anymore. We do admit people that like to suntan, but those students are usually in the sun with a book in hand, and I think that’s a difference people overlook,” Shalala said. Right now UM is ranked at 52 and the University of Florida is ranked at 50, according to U.S. News & World Report. One of Shalala’s goals is to not only get into the top 50, but to do so before the football game in fall, so “UM can beat UF twice.”

In the original printing of this story on April 28, 2008, the section currently attributed to Melissa Keller was mistakenly attributed to Ron Zelhof. We apologize for the error.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...