Thoughts on the University of Miami’s changing reputation

Matt Hall

Matt Hall visited UM when he was a senior in high school. After his tour, he knew he had to come here. “There were so many hot girls in my tour group.” Now, as Matt is ready to graduate this spring, he does not see the same school he came to. “With our rising standards and Shalala trying to make it a good school, we’re getting smarter and less attractive, and it’s so disappointing.” Matt is graduating with one question: “Donna, what are you doing to our school?”

Rachel Spangenthal

Rachel Spangenthal, a junior, is excited for UM to move from its current spot at 52 and break the top 50 in the U.S. News and World Report college rankings. “It used to be when you thought of UM, you thought of sports like our football team, but now our academics are so good,” Spangenthal said, hoping people recognize this in the future. “We’re actually about academics and doing well for our community,” she said. “There are great things happening, it’s not just about partying.”

Melissa Keller

Melissa Keller, an ’76 alum, recalls her time at UM as the “era of the streakers.” Keller remembers looking out her dorm window and seeing people run by naked. “Someone would always shout ‘streaker!’ and we would see some naked bodies running by,” she said. She remembers the streakers always being very tan. “Maybe that’s a reason UM is still referred to as ‘Suntan U.'”

Donna E. Shalala

President Shalala says she has seen the university change tremendously as the rankings indicate. It has moved from 66 to 52 since she has been president. “We don’t admit thugs anymore. We do admit people that like to suntan, but those students are usually in the sun with a book in hand, and I think that’s a difference people overlook,” Shalala said. Right now UM is ranked at 52 and the University of Florida is ranked at 50, according to U.S. News & World Report. One of Shalala’s goals is to not only get into the top 50, but to do so before the football game in fall, so “UM can beat UF twice.”

In the original printing of this story on April 28, 2008, the section currently attributed to Melissa Keller was mistakenly attributed to Ron Zelhof. We apologize for the error.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...