Summer Movie Previews

When the heat of summer gets to be too much for you, make your way to the local cinema and catch some of the summer’s hottest movies. Ranging from superhero blockbusters to animated works of genius – and even a few sequels thrown in the mix – this summer’s releases promise to keep you entertained for months. Here’s a breakdown of some film releases of note.

Iron Man (May 2) – The first big summer release should see no competition until Narnia, and will draw fans that saw Spider-Man 3 this time last year. It has more appeal than a stock comic-book movie because of Robert Downey Jr.

The Chronicles of Narnia (May 16) – Considering the first made almost $300 million, it should be no surprise to see the sequel exceed that number. It had better do its damage in its first six days because a behemoth comes out the week after.

Indiana Jones (May 22) – Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Harrison Ford will bring in well over $300 million and this film may be the biggest hit of the season. Details have been guarded, but it is known that a box from Roswell and the Soviets are involved.

Sex and the City (May 30) – Should do enormous business with fans, though the R-rating may hurt. Still, it provides an alternative for the audience not looking for comic-book heroes or action fare.

The Incredible Hulk (June 13) – Supposedly this version is more faithful to the TV show that made the character thirty years ago. Edward Norton plays Bruce Banner in a decidedly more action-oriented take on the hero than 2003’s flop.

Wanted (June 27) – A story about an ordinary guy who trains with a powerful group of assassins. Though it lacks star power (excluding Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman), the mind-bending action and the relatively unknown graphic novel source material should intrigue audiences.

WALL-E (June 27) – The Pixar machine keeps on chugging and will go untouched in the animated market this season. It will especially play to the toddler crowd that is too young for all the comic-book releases.

Hancock (July 2) – Will Smith on the Fourth of July equals staggering box-office numbers. The blend of superhero action and comedy will draw all ages and those looking for a new superhero will pick this over the old Marvel franchises.

The Dark Knight (July 18) – Like Hancock, it has enough for superhero fans and enough of something else (in this case, actual substance) to fill seats. The darkest entry into the Batman series will certainly turn some away, but it will also give the film a tone not seen in other comic-book movies.

Pineapple Express (August 8) – It might not reach Superbad status, but Judd Apatow produces hits like no one else in today’s comedy world. Seth Rogen and James Franco star in the must-see r-Rated comedy of the summer.

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...