SPORTS BRIEFS

FOOTBALL
Hurricanes keep draft streak alive with Kenny Phillips

University of Miami junior safety Kenny Phillips extended the Hurricanes’ record streak of players chosen in the first round of the NFL draft to 14 consecutive years. Phillips was the 31st overall pick, to the New York Giants, and he was the final pick in the first round.

Teammate Calais Campbell was selected in the second round, with the 50th overall pick, by the Arizona Cardinals. The third round saw Tavares Gooden come off the board, as he was selected No. 71 overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

BASKETBALL
Malcolm Grant joins team from Villanova

The University of Miami men’s basketball team recently added rising sophomore Malcolm Grant, as he signed a grant-in-aid to play for the Hurricanes.

Grant comes to Miami after having played his freshman season at Villanova. He will be eligible to play for the Canes starting with the 2009-10 season.

TRACK AND FIELD
Whyte named outdoor ACC MVP

University of Miami sophomore Kristy Whyte was recently selected as the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Most Valuable Performer of the Year in women’s outdoor track. The award is based on the votes of the 12 ACC coaches. Whyte won three overall titles at the 2008 ACC Outdoor Championships, as she took first in the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the 4X400-meter relay. She also finished second in the 4X200-meter relay.

VOLLEYBALL
Canes have strong showing

The University of Miami volleyball team recently finished up their spring exhibition season, as they competed at the Florida Division I Collegiate Beach Tournament.

The Canes finished one point shy of winning the overall tournament, but Angelica Ellis and Tatiana Alvarez did win the Bronze Division title. Ashley Woods and Cassie Loessberg finished second in the Gold Division.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...