SPORTS BRIEFS

FOOTBALL
Hurricanes keep draft streak alive with Kenny Phillips

University of Miami junior safety Kenny Phillips extended the Hurricanes’ record streak of players chosen in the first round of the NFL draft to 14 consecutive years. Phillips was the 31st overall pick, to the New York Giants, and he was the final pick in the first round.

Teammate Calais Campbell was selected in the second round, with the 50th overall pick, by the Arizona Cardinals. The third round saw Tavares Gooden come off the board, as he was selected No. 71 overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

BASKETBALL
Malcolm Grant joins team from Villanova

The University of Miami men’s basketball team recently added rising sophomore Malcolm Grant, as he signed a grant-in-aid to play for the Hurricanes.

Grant comes to Miami after having played his freshman season at Villanova. He will be eligible to play for the Canes starting with the 2009-10 season.

TRACK AND FIELD
Whyte named outdoor ACC MVP

University of Miami sophomore Kristy Whyte was recently selected as the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Most Valuable Performer of the Year in women’s outdoor track. The award is based on the votes of the 12 ACC coaches. Whyte won three overall titles at the 2008 ACC Outdoor Championships, as she took first in the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the 4X400-meter relay. She also finished second in the 4X200-meter relay.

VOLLEYBALL
Canes have strong showing

The University of Miami volleyball team recently finished up their spring exhibition season, as they competed at the Florida Division I Collegiate Beach Tournament.

The Canes finished one point shy of winning the overall tournament, but Angelica Ellis and Tatiana Alvarez did win the Bronze Division title. Ashley Woods and Cassie Loessberg finished second in the Gold Division.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

So what do UM Board of Trustee members think of what’s going on with the football program? Conversat ...

The University of Miami has dismissed wide receiver Jeff Thomas — widely recognized as the most gift ...

University of Miami sophomore receiver Jeff Thomas, widely considered the team’s most gifted player ...

Khris Bogle isn’t shy about his enthusiasm for the Alabama Crimson Tide after a recent visit to Tusc ...

Finally, the Eye on the U podcast comes to your ears after a Miami Hurricanes win. Miami went on the ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

Jaquan Johnson, Michael Jackson and Sheldrick Redwine have forged an unbreakable bond at Miami and a ...

Canes and Explorers kick off tournament Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team is set to host its annual Miami Thanksgiving Classi ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...