SPORTS BRIEFS

FOOTBALL
Hurricanes keep draft streak alive with Kenny Phillips

University of Miami junior safety Kenny Phillips extended the Hurricanes’ record streak of players chosen in the first round of the NFL draft to 14 consecutive years. Phillips was the 31st overall pick, to the New York Giants, and he was the final pick in the first round.

Teammate Calais Campbell was selected in the second round, with the 50th overall pick, by the Arizona Cardinals. The third round saw Tavares Gooden come off the board, as he was selected No. 71 overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

BASKETBALL
Malcolm Grant joins team from Villanova

The University of Miami men’s basketball team recently added rising sophomore Malcolm Grant, as he signed a grant-in-aid to play for the Hurricanes.

Grant comes to Miami after having played his freshman season at Villanova. He will be eligible to play for the Canes starting with the 2009-10 season.

TRACK AND FIELD
Whyte named outdoor ACC MVP

University of Miami sophomore Kristy Whyte was recently selected as the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Most Valuable Performer of the Year in women’s outdoor track. The award is based on the votes of the 12 ACC coaches. Whyte won three overall titles at the 2008 ACC Outdoor Championships, as she took first in the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the 4X400-meter relay. She also finished second in the 4X200-meter relay.

VOLLEYBALL
Canes have strong showing

The University of Miami volleyball team recently finished up their spring exhibition season, as they competed at the Florida Division I Collegiate Beach Tournament.

The Canes finished one point shy of winning the overall tournament, but Angelica Ellis and Tatiana Alvarez did win the Bronze Division title. Ashley Woods and Cassie Loessberg finished second in the Gold Division.

Compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...