So few spaces, so many tickets

Being a loyal reader, I was ecstatic when I saw the article you had written bringing the issue of parking to light. Not surprisingly, the administration took the normal stance of never being wrong and that all tickets are justifiable, which most are, even though it hurts to say it. But there are some that are so unclear on what exactly constitutes a violation it boggles my mind.

For instance, when parking in the so-called “temp” lot behind the art museum, there are no designated spots. So when they give me a ticket for “parking in a undesignated spot,” how can they justify that? As long as you are not blocking another car from leaving or blocking traffic, how can they write you a ticket?

What grinds my gears more is what the Parking and Transportation Department and UMPD said about only distributing tickets when students have committed an offense.

I got a ticket while parked at the gym to give blood about a month and a half ago. I thought it would be quick trip and knowingly parked in one the spots labeled “reserved.” Unfortunately, when I went back to my car I had two tickets. The first was for parking in a reserved spot, which I accepted responsibility for. The second ticket was for an expired meter, but there was no meter at that spot!

Unbelievable, and so much for always justly giving tickets. Following their procedure, I appealed the ticket, explained the whole situation and was subsequently rejected. Needless to say, I was infuriated.

It just isn’t right. I still have the tickets and I am in the process of re-appealing them, although I feel my efforts will be fruitless.

– Anthony Ficara
Senior

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...