So few spaces, so many tickets

Being a loyal reader, I was ecstatic when I saw the article you had written bringing the issue of parking to light. Not surprisingly, the administration took the normal stance of never being wrong and that all tickets are justifiable, which most are, even though it hurts to say it. But there are some that are so unclear on what exactly constitutes a violation it boggles my mind.

For instance, when parking in the so-called “temp” lot behind the art museum, there are no designated spots. So when they give me a ticket for “parking in a undesignated spot,” how can they justify that? As long as you are not blocking another car from leaving or blocking traffic, how can they write you a ticket?

What grinds my gears more is what the Parking and Transportation Department and UMPD said about only distributing tickets when students have committed an offense.

I got a ticket while parked at the gym to give blood about a month and a half ago. I thought it would be quick trip and knowingly parked in one the spots labeled “reserved.” Unfortunately, when I went back to my car I had two tickets. The first was for parking in a reserved spot, which I accepted responsibility for. The second ticket was for an expired meter, but there was no meter at that spot!

Unbelievable, and so much for always justly giving tickets. Following their procedure, I appealed the ticket, explained the whole situation and was subsequently rejected. Needless to say, I was infuriated.

It just isn’t right. I still have the tickets and I am in the process of re-appealing them, although I feel my efforts will be fruitless.

– Anthony Ficara
Senior

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...