ROWING: Rowers dominate Jacksonville

The University of Miami rowing team put together a strong performance, as they swept all three races against Jacksonville University. The performance comes after Hurricanes juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team earlier in the week.

The Hurricanes went into the meet against Jacksonville having rowed to an overall fifth place finish at the ACC championships.

The Hurricanes took first and second in the Varsity Eight race and the Varsity Four race, and they also took first place in the Novice Eight race, while their final team finished fifth in the Varsity Four race.

“I am proud of how hard we raced today after a very tough week in practice,” head coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Our two Varsity Eights were very close to each other, and it was fun to watch them battle back and forth throughout the race.”

In the Varsity Eight race, the Miami “A” team came in just ahead of the Miami “B” team, as they finished with times of 5:52.6 and 5:54.7, respectively. The Jacksonville team came in at a time of 6:05.0.

The Hurricanes’ bow half were the victors of the Varsity Four. In the Varsity Four, the Miami “C” team came in at a time of 6.12.1, while the Miami “B” team finished with a time of 6:22.7. The Jacksonville “A” team came in third, with a time of 6:27.6.

“We split up our Varsity Eight crew to get a little extra racing in,” Tenenbaum said. “They really went after this race and took command from the start.”

The Novice Eight team put together a solid showing, as they came from behind to win their race. They finished at 6:21.7, while Jacksonville had a time of 6.24.7.

“The Novices had a fantastic race today,” Tenenbaum added. “I was pleased with the way they were able to respond after falling behind early.”

The Hurricanes strong performance should give them some momentum, going into the South/Central Championships. The Championships will take place at Oak Ridge, Tenn. on May 17 to 18.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...