ROWING: Rowers dominate Jacksonville

The University of Miami rowing team put together a strong performance, as they swept all three races against Jacksonville University. The performance comes after Hurricanes juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team earlier in the week.

The Hurricanes went into the meet against Jacksonville having rowed to an overall fifth place finish at the ACC championships.

The Hurricanes took first and second in the Varsity Eight race and the Varsity Four race, and they also took first place in the Novice Eight race, while their final team finished fifth in the Varsity Four race.

“I am proud of how hard we raced today after a very tough week in practice,” head coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Our two Varsity Eights were very close to each other, and it was fun to watch them battle back and forth throughout the race.”

In the Varsity Eight race, the Miami “A” team came in just ahead of the Miami “B” team, as they finished with times of 5:52.6 and 5:54.7, respectively. The Jacksonville team came in at a time of 6:05.0.

The Hurricanes’ bow half were the victors of the Varsity Four. In the Varsity Four, the Miami “C” team came in at a time of 6.12.1, while the Miami “B” team finished with a time of 6:22.7. The Jacksonville “A” team came in third, with a time of 6:27.6.

“We split up our Varsity Eight crew to get a little extra racing in,” Tenenbaum said. “They really went after this race and took command from the start.”

The Novice Eight team put together a solid showing, as they came from behind to win their race. They finished at 6:21.7, while Jacksonville had a time of 6.24.7.

“The Novices had a fantastic race today,” Tenenbaum added. “I was pleased with the way they were able to respond after falling behind early.”

The Hurricanes strong performance should give them some momentum, going into the South/Central Championships. The Championships will take place at Oak Ridge, Tenn. on May 17 to 18.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...