ROWING: Rowers dominate Jacksonville

The University of Miami rowing team put together a strong performance, as they swept all three races against Jacksonville University. The performance comes after Hurricanes juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team earlier in the week.

The Hurricanes went into the meet against Jacksonville having rowed to an overall fifth place finish at the ACC championships.

The Hurricanes took first and second in the Varsity Eight race and the Varsity Four race, and they also took first place in the Novice Eight race, while their final team finished fifth in the Varsity Four race.

“I am proud of how hard we raced today after a very tough week in practice,” head coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Our two Varsity Eights were very close to each other, and it was fun to watch them battle back and forth throughout the race.”

In the Varsity Eight race, the Miami “A” team came in just ahead of the Miami “B” team, as they finished with times of 5:52.6 and 5:54.7, respectively. The Jacksonville team came in at a time of 6:05.0.

The Hurricanes’ bow half were the victors of the Varsity Four. In the Varsity Four, the Miami “C” team came in at a time of 6.12.1, while the Miami “B” team finished with a time of 6:22.7. The Jacksonville “A” team came in third, with a time of 6:27.6.

“We split up our Varsity Eight crew to get a little extra racing in,” Tenenbaum said. “They really went after this race and took command from the start.”

The Novice Eight team put together a solid showing, as they came from behind to win their race. They finished at 6:21.7, while Jacksonville had a time of 6.24.7.

“The Novices had a fantastic race today,” Tenenbaum added. “I was pleased with the way they were able to respond after falling behind early.”

The Hurricanes strong performance should give them some momentum, going into the South/Central Championships. The Championships will take place at Oak Ridge, Tenn. on May 17 to 18.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...