ROWING: Rowers dominate Jacksonville

The University of Miami rowing team put together a strong performance, as they swept all three races against Jacksonville University. The performance comes after Hurricanes juniors Laura Cordner and Kelly Amsler were named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team earlier in the week.

The Hurricanes went into the meet against Jacksonville having rowed to an overall fifth place finish at the ACC championships.

The Hurricanes took first and second in the Varsity Eight race and the Varsity Four race, and they also took first place in the Novice Eight race, while their final team finished fifth in the Varsity Four race.

“I am proud of how hard we raced today after a very tough week in practice,” head coach Robbie Tenenbaum said. “Our two Varsity Eights were very close to each other, and it was fun to watch them battle back and forth throughout the race.”

In the Varsity Eight race, the Miami “A” team came in just ahead of the Miami “B” team, as they finished with times of 5:52.6 and 5:54.7, respectively. The Jacksonville team came in at a time of 6:05.0.

The Hurricanes’ bow half were the victors of the Varsity Four. In the Varsity Four, the Miami “C” team came in at a time of 6.12.1, while the Miami “B” team finished with a time of 6:22.7. The Jacksonville “A” team came in third, with a time of 6:27.6.

“We split up our Varsity Eight crew to get a little extra racing in,” Tenenbaum said. “They really went after this race and took command from the start.”

The Novice Eight team put together a solid showing, as they came from behind to win their race. They finished at 6:21.7, while Jacksonville had a time of 6.24.7.

“The Novices had a fantastic race today,” Tenenbaum added. “I was pleased with the way they were able to respond after falling behind early.”

The Hurricanes strong performance should give them some momentum, going into the South/Central Championships. The Championships will take place at Oak Ridge, Tenn. on May 17 to 18.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...