Rosenstiel dean Otis Brown to step down

POSTED MAY 6 AT 8:07 P.M.

Otis Brown, dean of the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science since 1995, revealed on Friday his decision to step down at the end of the 2008-2009 academic year.

After ending his term as dean, Brown will continue his research at UM, focusing on “several special projects which focus on science and society.”

“One [project]is an eco-system management project and the other is the transition of state-of-the-art hurricane forecast tools to operational settings,” Brown told The Miami Hurricane in an e-mail.

Having served as a member of the U.S. Ocean Commission’s science advisory panel and as a member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Science Advisory Board, Brown is a prominent figure in the scientific community, recognized for his research in the integration of science and policy, and ocean studies.

Brown has been a faculty member at UM since 1974; his titles including chairman of the Division of Meteorology and Physical Oceanography from 1974 to 1989, and the associate dean for research from 1989 to 1994.

In 2006, Brown was honored with the Charles Franklin Brooks Award by the American Meteorological Society, a leading professional society in the field of atmospheric and related sciences.

“[My experience at UM] has been, and [still]is, very rewarding,” said Brown. “Only at a school like Rosenstiel does one have the opportunity to work with world-class scientists on a daily basis and see ways to measurably improve the way humanity lives on planet Earth.”

After Brown and law school dean Dennis O. Lynch – who announced his retirement in April 2007 – step down, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk of the School of Architecture will be the sole dean to not have been named during Donna E. Shalala became president of the university in 2001.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...