My college reflections: Finding your true calling

Not too long ago, while giving a campus tour, a mother asked me, “If you could go back and do college over again, would you do anything different?”

I stumbled a bit, but came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t. But if you know me, you are well aware that I am coming upon graduation and have decided that I, the print journalism major, do not want to be a newspaper reporter.

According to Toppel, that’s OK, because I can use my journalism skills in several different careers. However, according to all the pressure I’ve been receiving lately, that’s not OK.

For the past four years I have had my fair share of ups and downs, but I wouldn’t change a thing, even if I had the opportunity. The way I see it, every moment of college has blended together to make me who I am today. I may not be as interested in being a reporter anymore, but I would never trade the skills I learned (especially the skill to call complete strangers and ask them incriminating questions).

My choice to major in journalism led me to seek a double major in studio art with a photography specialization, which, because of my core requirements, forced me to take an art history class. Last year, I added an art history minor and have since found my true passion.

During my years as an undergraduate, I learned that I love writing, traveling and art. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all of that. While I’ve had a few internships at newspaper and magazines, I’m now feeling the pressure to secure a full-time job instead of applying for additional internships to gain experience in my new area of interest.

My advice to the undergrads is this: Do what you love and love what you do. I met someone the other day who had pressure from his parents to be a doctor, but he fell in love with art history and ended up as a Christie’s intern in London.

Your college years don’t necessarily have to train you to go straight into the field of your degree. They can be an opportunity for you to expose yourself to many areas of interest that high school never let you experience. If you are an engineering major and want to be an engineer, great. But if you are a psychology major and want to go travel the world on a cruise ship, go for it. These are your years to explore. Enjoy them. And don’t be afraid to let loose and take that crazy anthropology class you’ve secretly been curious about. You might find your true calling.

Ashley Davidson is a senior majoring in journalism and studio art. She may be contacted at a.davidson2@umiami.edu.

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...