In response to “Beware of bikers”

[Last week’s editorial on bikers] was something that I have had feelings about for some time now. I am now a senior at the university and ever since I was a freshman, bikers, skaters and skateboarders have irked me. The sidewalks on our campus are set up, as their name implies, for people to walk on. As you stated in your editorial, they can get very crowded during “rush hour” and from my experience, the majority of riders expect the walkers to just jump out of their way as they speed along. Now, I would agree with you that special bike lanes could be the answer, but I also feel that would be an egregious waste of money. Our campus is very small and even for the slowest walker it does not take more than 20 minutes, at most, to get from one place to another. So actually, there is no reason to ride a bike around campus. Furthermore, commuters that ride a bike to school should park their bike in the same manner that car drivers do. In conclusion, I feel the true solution is for people to stop being so lazy and impatient and do what a majority of students already do – WALK to class.

– Daniel Signore
Senior

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...