Dorm security leaves much to be desired

In the year-and-a-half that I have attended the University of Miami, it has been made clear to me that the administration places a premium on student security. On more than one occasion, while passing a group of prospective students touring our campus, I have overheard the group leader boasting of the three layers of security protecting access to the residence halls (though those three layers are only in place after 10 p.m.).

Imagine my surprise when I returned to Eaton after class one evening only to discover that one of the inner doors, which is normally locked at all times, had been secured open with plastic zip-ties. I understand that relying on card readers to grant access to our dormitories is not the best option for security. This is painfully evident to anyone who lives on campus – we’ve all seen people wandering around the lobbies, waiting for someone to let them into a dorm, either because they forgot their Cane Cards, or because they are not residents of that particular dormitory. At least it’s something, right?

This is not the first time that I’ve noticed my dorm being open to anyone who walks in. That particular door has been propped open at least two other times this semester alone. With property theft at UM occurring as frequently as it does, and especially in light of a recent armed robbery on campus, one must wonder if the university administration really cares about our security, or is just concerned about appearances.

If the door is open because it is broken, fine. Post a security guard at that door until it is fixed to ensure that the only people who get in are those who are supposed to be there in the first place. Alternatively, lock the door and let students use one of the several other entrances into the dorm. More importantly, ensure that UNICCO (or whoever is responsible for maintaining the residence hall doors) already has the spare parts on hand to fix such a problem.

I want to attend a school that is safe, not one that looks safe.

– Casey Scott
Sophomore

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...