Dorm security leaves much to be desired

In the year-and-a-half that I have attended the University of Miami, it has been made clear to me that the administration places a premium on student security. On more than one occasion, while passing a group of prospective students touring our campus, I have overheard the group leader boasting of the three layers of security protecting access to the residence halls (though those three layers are only in place after 10 p.m.).

Imagine my surprise when I returned to Eaton after class one evening only to discover that one of the inner doors, which is normally locked at all times, had been secured open with plastic zip-ties. I understand that relying on card readers to grant access to our dormitories is not the best option for security. This is painfully evident to anyone who lives on campus – we’ve all seen people wandering around the lobbies, waiting for someone to let them into a dorm, either because they forgot their Cane Cards, or because they are not residents of that particular dormitory. At least it’s something, right?

This is not the first time that I’ve noticed my dorm being open to anyone who walks in. That particular door has been propped open at least two other times this semester alone. With property theft at UM occurring as frequently as it does, and especially in light of a recent armed robbery on campus, one must wonder if the university administration really cares about our security, or is just concerned about appearances.

If the door is open because it is broken, fine. Post a security guard at that door until it is fixed to ensure that the only people who get in are those who are supposed to be there in the first place. Alternatively, lock the door and let students use one of the several other entrances into the dorm. More importantly, ensure that UNICCO (or whoever is responsible for maintaining the residence hall doors) already has the spare parts on hand to fix such a problem.

I want to attend a school that is safe, not one that looks safe.

– Casey Scott
Sophomore

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...