Deferred recruitment begins in fall

The University of Miami is bringing current students a new kind of “rush” in Fall 2008 – deferred recruitment.

The change in routine means that only upperclassmen will be able to join a fraternity or sorority in the fall. Freshmen will have to hold out until January 2009 to join a Greek organization.

“Change is always scary,” said Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs. The adjustment for the Greek community has been in the works since the summer of 2006, she explained. The goal is to place more emphasis on the first year experience for freshmen. Whitely wants to make sure that first-year students don’t feel pressured to decide right away if and where they want to go Greek.

Melissa Gerber, Panhellenic vice president of recruitment, isn’t worried about the changes for the community as a whole. As far as finances go, Gerber explained that it’s just a shift in when dues will come in. She said she thinks most sororities will not experience a huge financial hit because there will still be an informal recruitment in the fall. Gerber thinks that the women rushing in the fall will replace the seniors graduating in May.

As far as what to expect for the upcoming informal sorority recruitment in the fall, upperclassmen should be prepared for a lot less structure. Gerber, along with Panhellenic and sorority recruitment chairs, has worked all semester to make the upcoming recruitment as accommodating as possible. Recruitment will span one week, with most events planned for weekends. Another bonus for upperclassmen includes only having to visit each sorority once, whereas in previous years it’s at least two times. After the first round, women can make their decision when they go back to each sorority within the structure of the week.

As for guys, Alex Gelep, the Interfraternity Council vice president of recruitment, said that “not much is changing for fraternities.” Fall recruitment will still consist of the usual two week formal recruitment for guys. Freshmen will no longer be included in the process in the fall.

The ultimate plan is to only have spring recruitment for all women going through and to continue the fall and spring recruitment for men.

“I think it’s going to be fine, it’s just a paradigm shift,” Whitely said. “In five years or so, it will become the norm.”

Ashley Minelli may be contacted at a.minelli@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...