Carey brings consistent quality

Mariah Carey truly outdid herself with her latest album, E=MC2, which was released April 15.

The album’s first single “Touch My Body” became her 18th number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100, surpassing Elvis Presley’s record. The infectious hook and vocals have utterly taken over the radio since its release. Meanwhile, the album also marks Carey’s sixth number one album on the Billboard 200.

Carey’s latest effort takes her last album, The Emancipation of Mimi, to the next level, as the album title suggests. Carey’s vocals are mellower on her latest album, which features more hip-hop and reggae songs than love ballads. Carey masters the reggae genre in “Cruise Control,” which features Damian Marley. “I’ll Be Lovin’ U Long Time” is a completely new sound for the longtime singer that’s sure to appeal to a whole new audience.

Carey also collaborates with smash-single monster T-Pain on “Migrate” and rapper Young Jeezy on “Side Effects,” two of the best tracks on the album. With lyrics like “Wakin’ up scared some nights/Still dreaming ’bout the violent times,” “Side Effects” reveals a darker side of the songbird for the first time.

It is apparent that Mariah Carey put a lot of thought and energy into the production of her latest album as every last detail is masterfully perfected. Her lyrical genius really shines in the tracks “I Stay in Love” and “Thanks 4 Nothin’.” The fact that she writes all of her songs has contributed to the consistent quality of Carey’s albums. And as Carey’s most creative effort to date, E=MC2 is no exception.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...