Carey brings consistent quality

Mariah Carey truly outdid herself with her latest album, E=MC2, which was released April 15.

The album’s first single “Touch My Body” became her 18th number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100, surpassing Elvis Presley’s record. The infectious hook and vocals have utterly taken over the radio since its release. Meanwhile, the album also marks Carey’s sixth number one album on the Billboard 200.

Carey’s latest effort takes her last album, The Emancipation of Mimi, to the next level, as the album title suggests. Carey’s vocals are mellower on her latest album, which features more hip-hop and reggae songs than love ballads. Carey masters the reggae genre in “Cruise Control,” which features Damian Marley. “I’ll Be Lovin’ U Long Time” is a completely new sound for the longtime singer that’s sure to appeal to a whole new audience.

Carey also collaborates with smash-single monster T-Pain on “Migrate” and rapper Young Jeezy on “Side Effects,” two of the best tracks on the album. With lyrics like “Wakin’ up scared some nights/Still dreaming ’bout the violent times,” “Side Effects” reveals a darker side of the songbird for the first time.

It is apparent that Mariah Carey put a lot of thought and energy into the production of her latest album as every last detail is masterfully perfected. Her lyrical genius really shines in the tracks “I Stay in Love” and “Thanks 4 Nothin’.” The fact that she writes all of her songs has contributed to the consistent quality of Carey’s albums. And as Carey’s most creative effort to date, E=MC2 is no exception.

Kimberly Rubenstein may be contacted at k.rubenstein@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...