Canes fall to Tar Heels

With the boys of summer fittingly battling in a humid matinee rubber match of No. 1 and No. 2, the difference happened to be a matter of 90 feet.

Staging an improbable comeback after falling behind 12-4 in the fifth inning, No. 1 Miami (43-8, 23-5) stranded the tying run at third against North Carolina (45-10, 22-7) when junior right fielder Dennis Raben struck out to end the game, series and regular season in a tough 12-11 decision at Mark Light Field Saturday afternoon in front of a sold-out crowd.

UNC’s designated hitter Tim Federowicz, who had 3 RBI, recorded the final out with runners on the corners and earned his first save as pitcher.

“I thought Raben was going to hit a home run to be honest with you,” said junior first baseman Yonder Alonso. “It shows a lot about what we are. We battle, battle, battle and we never give up. I’m sure we’re not going to give up now.”

Reliever Colin Bates (6-0) earned the victory after starter Matt Harvey was pulled by allowing four runs in one and two third innings. Sophomore right fielder Tim Fedroff went 2-for-5 with a run and 5 RBI while senior left fielder Kyle Shelton finished 4-for-5 with two RBI and three runs scored.

After scoring a run in the ninth to make it a 12-11 ballgame off an Alonso single, the Canes were unable to complete the comeback.

UM starter Enrique Garcia took the loss to send his record to 5-2 by giving up six runs- four earned- in three innings of work.

In game two, North Carolina got off to an early lead and held on late for a 10-6 defeat to tie up the series.

Sophomore lefty Eric Erickson (7-1) was knocked for seven runs on 10 hits over five innings while UNC righty Adam Warren (8-1) kept Miami hitless for five innings to improve his career record to 21-1.

Warren faced trouble in the sixth after the Tar Heels extended their lead to 9-0 when he gave up a grand slam to Sobolewski, the second grand slam of the series for the Hurricanes. Alonso had two RBI, a solo homer and a bases-loaded walk in the ninth.

First baseman Dustin Ackley, Fedroff and second baseman Kyle Seager each had three hits apiece to fuel North Carolina’s offense.

Thursday night, the Canes clinched the ACC Coastal Division with a 12-2 win.

Freshman lefthander Chris Hernandez pitched seven and two third innings of two-run ball and seven strikeouts to earn his 10th victory of the season. Alonso notched his 2nd career grand slam- both against second-ranked teams this season- on an opposite field shot that put the Hurricanes on the scoreboard in the third inning after trailing 1-0 to take a 4-1 lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

DiNatale also homered to left field for a two-run homer to increase the cushion for Hernandez at 6-2 and finished the game 2-for-4.

North Carolina pitchers walked a season-high 11 batters as starter Alex White fell to 8-3 and issued five walks.

The Canes broke the game open in the seventh inning by scoring six runs when three UNC relief pitchers walked five batters, including a period of four in a row.

“North Carolina has an outstanding club,’ head coach Jim Morris said. “They can swing the bat, they can pitch and they have some great prospects. They came into our house and beat us two out of three. It’s a credit to them.”

Despite the series loss, Miami scored a combined 29 runs against the nation’s top starting rotation and will look to capture the ACC Championship in Jacksonville, which starts on Wednesday.

“It was a great year, but it’s all over now,” Alonso said. “We really can’t worry about what we did this whole year. It’s a new season and I just can’t wait to get started.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...