Breast Augmentation: do or don’t

According to the American Society for Plastic Surgeons, breast augmentation surgeries accounted for more than 35 percent of all plastic surgery procedures in 2005, and women aged 18-35 accounted for more than 25 percent of those procedures.

“I think that getting breast augmentation surgery is fine if it’s done for medical reasons,” sophomore Katie Zydel said. “A lot of girls get reductions to improve back pain and I think that’s fine. And I also know of someone who survived breast cancer and got

implants to bring her body back to normal. But for the girls who do it just to do it, I don’t think it’s the best idea.”

Doctors advise young patients, especially those interested in breast augmentations, to do the research and come in knowing both the benefits and risks of the procedure.

“Whenever you are putting something foreign into your body, in this case an implant, there is a great risk of infection, leakage, and abnormal immune system responses,” said Doctor Brian Lurie of St. Peter’s Medical Center in New Jersey.

Doctors also explain that in any surgery involving general anesthesia, or in which you are put to sleep, complications such as allergic reactions, blood pressure changes and heart rate increases are actually quite common.

Less than two weeks ago, a South-Florida teenager died from complications during a reconstructive breast surgery. Stephanie Kuleba, 18, of Boca Raton, Fla., had a fatal reaction to anesthesia causing her heart rate, metabolism and body temperature to drastically increase.

But even though complications and risks are extremely high, many teenagers and young adults still go under the knife.

“I know a few girls that have gotten plastic surgery, and even though I would never do it myself, I realize that people need to do whatever makes them happy,” said sophomore Nicole Schade. “Girls should be comfortable with themselves, but in the end it is ultimately their decision.”

Christa Ruggiero may be contacted at c.ruggiero@umiami.edu.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...