Breast Augmentation: do or don’t

According to the American Society for Plastic Surgeons, breast augmentation surgeries accounted for more than 35 percent of all plastic surgery procedures in 2005, and women aged 18-35 accounted for more than 25 percent of those procedures.

“I think that getting breast augmentation surgery is fine if it’s done for medical reasons,” sophomore Katie Zydel said. “A lot of girls get reductions to improve back pain and I think that’s fine. And I also know of someone who survived breast cancer and got

implants to bring her body back to normal. But for the girls who do it just to do it, I don’t think it’s the best idea.”

Doctors advise young patients, especially those interested in breast augmentations, to do the research and come in knowing both the benefits and risks of the procedure.

“Whenever you are putting something foreign into your body, in this case an implant, there is a great risk of infection, leakage, and abnormal immune system responses,” said Doctor Brian Lurie of St. Peter’s Medical Center in New Jersey.

Doctors also explain that in any surgery involving general anesthesia, or in which you are put to sleep, complications such as allergic reactions, blood pressure changes and heart rate increases are actually quite common.

Less than two weeks ago, a South-Florida teenager died from complications during a reconstructive breast surgery. Stephanie Kuleba, 18, of Boca Raton, Fla., had a fatal reaction to anesthesia causing her heart rate, metabolism and body temperature to drastically increase.

But even though complications and risks are extremely high, many teenagers and young adults still go under the knife.

“I know a few girls that have gotten plastic surgery, and even though I would never do it myself, I realize that people need to do whatever makes them happy,” said sophomore Nicole Schade. “Girls should be comfortable with themselves, but in the end it is ultimately their decision.”

Christa Ruggiero may be contacted at c.ruggiero@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...