BASKETBALL: Recruits coming to BankUnited Center

The University of Miami formally announced in a press conference Tuesday that the BankUnited Center will host the 2009 McDonald’s All-American High School Boys and Girls Games.

The top 24 high school girls and boys basketball players will come from all over the United States for this week-long event which culminates with the games April 1. The boys game will be broadcast live on ESPN and the girls game will be televised on ESPNU.

“We will be going from March Madness to April Madness,” President Donna E. Shalala said. “We are very proud to be hosting this event which really salutes the credible bright futures of these young men and women basketball players. They are the best of the best, and we think we are the best of the best here at the University of Miami. The national visibility that Miami will get will be great for the community.”

UM expects the new practice facility and the additional parking spaces to be ready by the end of this calendar year and definitely by next April. Shalala also wants to open up more seats at the BankUnited Center.

According to Tara Hayes of the McDonald’s Corporation, a mass bid process was sent out based on the quality of the facilities, size of the host markets and willingness of the local McDonald’s owners and operators.

UM will not earn money from this event, as all proceeds go to local Ronald McDonald House charities in South Florida. The purpose of the charity is to provide a home away from home for families with ill children.

“We have a goal to break one million dollars, and that would be a record,” Shalala said. “The Ronald McDonald house in Miami-Dade and the Ronald McDonald house in Broward will benefit from this charity event. It gives us a chance, as a host, to give back to our community.”

The University of Miami will be purchasing a number of tickets that will be given to students.

The Miami-Dade Sports Commission will also assist with coordination of this event.

At the conclusion of the press conference, Sebastian the Ibis and the clown Ronald McDonald made a bet. Whoever can make a shot from half court with their back to the basket first will win a Happy Meal. The contest will take place during the halftime show of the big game.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...