BASEBALL: Canes sweep yet another ACC series

The University of Miami Hurricanes won another conference series, as the No. 1 Hurricanes proved to be too much for the No. 16 University of Virginia Cavaliers, sweeping the three-game series.

The Canes (36-5, 20-2 ACC) came into the weekend after losing to Florida International University last Wednesday, 6-3. This was only the second time this season that the Canes entered a weekend series having dropped a midweek game, and like the former occasion, the Canes swept their Atlantic Coast Conference opponent.

The series was marked by solid pitching from Miami, as they allowed only three runs in three games against the Cavaliers (32-15, 13-11 ACC), including throwing two shutouts to open and close the series. The shutouts were the first for the Hurricanes in the ACC since March 2006, and the last time the Canes posted two shutouts in a single series was in 1998 against Harvard. As a whole, the team posted a 0.64 ERA during the three game set.

On Friday, Miami pulled out a 1-0 victory, thanks to the arm of freshman pitcher Chris Hernandez and the bat of Blake Tekotte, who singled home Joey Terdoslavich in the sixth inning. Herdandez had a career-high 11 strikeouts through eight innings, another career best. The win improves him to 7-0 on the season.

Saturday’s game saw the Hurricanes quickly earn a 3-0 lead, before allowing the Cavaliers to climb back in and tie the game. The Canes eventually took the game in the 10th inning, as Jemile Weeks scored the game-winning run on a throwing error. The extra innings victory was the improved the Canes to 3-0 in extra inning games, and it was the third time the Canes have had a walk-off win this season.

After a quiet start to the weekend for the Hurricanes’ bats, Sunday turned into what people are more used to seeing from the Hurricanes’ offense. Enrique Garcia threw seven strong innings, allowing only three hits and no runs, while Mark Sobolewski tied a career high by driving in six runs on three hits, propelling the Hurricanes to a 10-0 victory.

The three-game sweep gives the Hurricanes 20 ACC wins, the most the team has ever had in conference play. The Miami baseball team was unaffiliated before 2005.

The Hurricanes have no mid-week game this week, and will next play at home against St. Mary’s Friday. First pitch at Mark Light Field is at 7 p.m.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...