BASEBALL: Canes sweep yet another ACC series

The University of Miami Hurricanes won another conference series, as the No. 1 Hurricanes proved to be too much for the No. 16 University of Virginia Cavaliers, sweeping the three-game series.

The Canes (36-5, 20-2 ACC) came into the weekend after losing to Florida International University last Wednesday, 6-3. This was only the second time this season that the Canes entered a weekend series having dropped a midweek game, and like the former occasion, the Canes swept their Atlantic Coast Conference opponent.

The series was marked by solid pitching from Miami, as they allowed only three runs in three games against the Cavaliers (32-15, 13-11 ACC), including throwing two shutouts to open and close the series. The shutouts were the first for the Hurricanes in the ACC since March 2006, and the last time the Canes posted two shutouts in a single series was in 1998 against Harvard. As a whole, the team posted a 0.64 ERA during the three game set.

On Friday, Miami pulled out a 1-0 victory, thanks to the arm of freshman pitcher Chris Hernandez and the bat of Blake Tekotte, who singled home Joey Terdoslavich in the sixth inning. Herdandez had a career-high 11 strikeouts through eight innings, another career best. The win improves him to 7-0 on the season.

Saturday’s game saw the Hurricanes quickly earn a 3-0 lead, before allowing the Cavaliers to climb back in and tie the game. The Canes eventually took the game in the 10th inning, as Jemile Weeks scored the game-winning run on a throwing error. The extra innings victory was the improved the Canes to 3-0 in extra inning games, and it was the third time the Canes have had a walk-off win this season.

After a quiet start to the weekend for the Hurricanes’ bats, Sunday turned into what people are more used to seeing from the Hurricanes’ offense. Enrique Garcia threw seven strong innings, allowing only three hits and no runs, while Mark Sobolewski tied a career high by driving in six runs on three hits, propelling the Hurricanes to a 10-0 victory.

The three-game sweep gives the Hurricanes 20 ACC wins, the most the team has ever had in conference play. The Miami baseball team was unaffiliated before 2005.

The Hurricanes have no mid-week game this week, and will next play at home against St. Mary’s Friday. First pitch at Mark Light Field is at 7 p.m.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...